Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:49 am 

Are their some suggestions when making a rose item as to what they are ? Banner's and re-doing Relic items have been things brought to mind but are there any other suggestions for Rose entries ?

Just curious.

"One People, One Planet"
haven-int.org
spirit-chronicles.org

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:57 pm 

gate favors, newbie garb

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:11 pm 

Anything that the Kingdom or your park can really use.

Something I have not seen in a really long time is newbie or new class kits. Everything someone would need to play a class.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:28 pm 

Hmm class kits, that's a good one Tanara.

"One People, One Planet"
haven-int.org
spirit-chronicles.org

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:07 am 

Hmmm...are you looking to be useful or are you looking to score well? ;)

Seriously - if you're looking to score well, then make your entries things which could also have been conceivably entered in one of the other categories. I've seen people donate software templates and computers for kingdom use, and no matter how useful they may be, the judges seem to have trouble scoring those items fairly. I don't blame them, mind you, since every other category has the question of "how well made is this?", and especially in the case of a donated computer, it's much harder to adjudicate whether the entrant did well putting it together - that'd require a whole set of expertise that isn't normally called upon in Amtgard. But if your score matters to you, then stay away from such stuff no matter how badly needed you think it is. Make those kinds of donations "off-camera" and don't risk dragging down your average score because you put the judges in a bad spot.

On the other hand, *because* utility is a criterion in the Rose category, this is one place where Quantity *can* be every bit as important as Quality. One hand-made and hand-tooled leather belt is lovely and wonderful...but it only benefits one person. A half-dozen matching tabards may not be quite as impressive-looking, but it has a greater impact on the game because that benefits six people that might otherwise be running around in T-shirts.

IMO, if you've got the chops for it, lendable garb is one of the most valuable contributions you can make, because the garb is what sets us apart visually as Amtgard as opposed to a bunch of hoodlums in the park. Garb gets us attention, which we can occasionally leverage into recruiting opportunities.

Lendable weapons are a close second, because so much of this game is melee combat, but for the love of gods don't enter them. Unless things have changed radically in the three or four years since I took A&S seriously, weapons never score worth squat.

After that would be things like sashes and spellballs. Especially so if you have a lot of new players, because then they can try out a few different classes and see what appeals to them. I was a freak of nature for jumping straight into the Healer class my first day and never wanting to be anything else. :D

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:30 pm 

Wow, we are all about grave digging in the A&S forum this week. :)

On topic: People sometime enter a body of work they have donated over time to the Kingdom. Sutra entered the newsletters that he edited and published. They were not judged on the individual content (and couldn't have been since Sutra didn't write 90% of the material :) ), but on their usefullness to the Kingdom as a publication. They scored quite well.

And I agree that well made (i.e. sturdy) sashes, tunics, spell balls, etc for new players is a good way to go.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:32 pm 

Well what I guess I was considering for the next A&S event is a number of Red and Blue tabards.

Not only would it at least clothe the newbie in a T-Shirt. But when you play battlegames you can see the clear designation between the teams.

And they could wear them a number of ways, incase you want your own symbol or clothes to show, including just hanging from there belt. But for the newb's at least there not wearing a T-shirt. ;-)

Fenris

"One People, One Planet"
haven-int.org
spirit-chronicles.org

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences