Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard

Post Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:40 pm 

Good evening declarees.

The following positions must answer these questions:

Kingdom Monarch
Kingdom Regent
KGMR
Kingdom Champion

Below are your Statecraft questions for Reign 68.

1.) As we progress as an organization, fundraising has continued to be something we need to focus on. As a 501c7 we have a unique lense that we must approach fundraising from.
How do you plan to approach fundraising for the Kingdom?

2.) Our Kingdom over the last several years has very clearly shown a divide amongst our populace. What is your perspective on the divide and how do you intend to help unite our Kingdom?
Clarification edit a: When I say divide I am referring to any or all of the following. The states divide, old guard vs new guard, us vs them etc.

3.) With us returning to play, we have seen a reduction in players and declarees for local offices. How do you intend to support your local chapters in their day to day operations and assisting them in rebuilding their parks?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:20 am 

1.) As we progress as an organization, fundraising has continued to be something we need to focus on. As a 501c7 we have a unique lense that we must approach fundraising from.

Fundraising is a goal we should strive for as it keeps our organization alive. To aid in this pursuit I propose that we have a Tournament of Artisans where entries are auctioned off, as well as buy-in Cultural tournaments (including Gladiator).

2.) Our Kingdom over the last several years has very clearly shown a divide amongst our populace. What is your perspective on the divide and how do you intend to help unite our Kingdom?

Division of the Kingdom is a very unfortunate reality we are facing and I feel we need to interact more with parks beyond each of our home states. One way I plan to do this as Regent, is to have The Colleges of Arts and Science Guildmasters spread throughout our Kingdom geographically to make them more inclusive. Another proposal I would like to do is have State Champions for the A&S that will be determined by Regent Challenges and Tournaments.

3.) With us returning to play, we have seen a reduction in players and declarees for local offices. How do you intend to support your local chapters in their day to day operations and assisting them in rebuilding their parks?

As Regent I will have open communication with the local Regents and/or Monarchs regarding any questions they might ask and will actively advise any park that wishes to do demonstrations in public to gain interest in Amtgard (including Arts & Sciences).

Post Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:14 pm 

1. Answer) Fundraising is always going to be tricky in a 501c7 as it is something we need and primarily comes from its members. Recently I have seen some other areas or kingdoms who have offered bonus credits to anyone who would be willing to pay a year of dues at once. I think that is a good short-term fundraiser to help pay for AIBoD right now but will see a lack of those dues coming in later in the year. Not to mention this caused lots of grumbling from some players. But this is Amtgard, no one likes everything we try. I like the idea of those old school dollar or five-dollar tournaments, egg tournaments (please let’s not bring back throwing eggs at contestants) and bringing back donated weapons and garb auctions nearby court.

Clarification edit a: When I say divide I am referring to any or all of the following. The states divide, old guard vs new guard, us vs them etc.

2 Answer) There are many divides going on in our lives right now. Political, pandemic, vaccines and just a general anger at anyone that might not think the same way we do. Amtgard isn't different. The real world in turmoil has affected us all, and we inadvertently bring that to the game we love. The Kingdom of the Emerald Hills has a larger land area now than it used to. And when we must hold an event, trying to keep in mind the furthest parks’ members is not an easy thing to deal with. As Monarch I would have a group/area/online space, whatever we want to call it, to come together and discuss things like our park cultures, games, A&S and players and look for some ways we as leaders can help engage our populaces and find ways to soothe hurt feelings when things crop up as a kingdom.

3 Answer) We are reopening again, and player numbers are less than maybe we all might have expected them to be. I would remind park officers as well as everyone that that’s okay. That its going to be okay. That what you are doing does matter, and you might see smaller fields now, but you choosing to run for local office, or stay in local office, will help new players come out. And old players come back. I understand burnout is real. And that many volunteers in our game are under appreciated. The steps I can take to help will be those park monarch groups and perhaps help local monarchs with ways they can help new leadership in their parks to grow as the reign continues.

In Service,
Sir Worrak Darkedge

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:24 pm 

1.) As we progress as an organization, fundraising has continued to be something we need to focus on. As a 501c7 we have a unique lens that we must approach fundraising from.

a. The term fundraising often invokes images of bake-sales, car washes, and (if you’ve been in any high school extra-curricular in the last 20 years) selling over-priced kitsch from catalogues to friends and family. The unique lens the 501c7 status is really that it should remind the monarchy team that the kingdom is not just a game, but also a business. And as a business we (the monarchy team and BOD) must provide a product that people WANT to pay for. To me that means doing everything we can to stay open, have events, encourage intra and inter kingdom travel, and do our best to engage all players at the level they enjoy participating. Events have traditionally been the primary source of income for the kingdom, and these must begin happening again with regularity. We must have a replacement IK event to replace Banner Wars well before the end of the upcoming reign to get the kind of turn out that we would expect from a major IK event. I’d like to see a site for this event no further than an hour from the DFW area to ensure its easily accessible to as many other kingdoms’ players as possible. Finally, additional one-off fundraising items can be implemented rather quickly to get an influx of cash. While I don’t yet know what these items are, we do have a fundraising committee with members from each state in which we operate. I intend to lean on the committee to generate and help execute fundraising ideas.

a. I think we must begin to understand that all of the differences that drive both actual and perceived divides come from a position of passion for what some call a “silly little game.” I know for a fact this game has saved lives, created families, and is the reason for some to continue fighting their addictions, etc. We cannot fault the populace for defending the ideal of a game that’s so important to them, but we should still expect that their emotions be tempered with respect. I think we (leadership/monarchy) need to seek to understand the points of view from both sides of an argument, a leader’s job is not to take sides, but bring everyone to the table and mediate a compromise, always doing what's best for the kingdom as a whole.

a. This kingdom has a unique opportunity to come back stronger than ever from this pandemic. I know my park has picked up several new members just from our online presence during shut down, we did convert them to in person once we were allowed to have new players back out during the first phase of reopening. My belief is that the biggest asset to recruiting new players is having a well-rounded presence with virtual weekly check-ins/roleplay that promotes upcoming park days, helping park monarchy pump up excitement for the game, and encouraging intra-kingdom travel specifically targeted at parks struggling to grow attendance, to give them a chance for a big park day so the local community knows who we are and what we do. I will assist in this by scheduling kingdom visits during my reign, giving local players a reason to travel to nearby parks, and allowing the hosting park to chimera qualify those players that may be interested in holding park office (crating park events is a good way to get those requirements met). I will also continue to utilize the Kingdom Circle of Monarchs chat and FB page to keep lines of communication open with park monarchs so they know there’s a support network in place to help them deal with the unique situations in their parks. It is no secret I am a huge flurb, so my goal is to provide an overarching story for the reign, by providing RP updates so parks can have some news of the happenings in the wider kingdom, they can react to the news; I will be asking the champion to create battle games and quest scenarios to push out so parks can participate in the story if they choose to do so. Finally, by my reckoning we are owed invasions from Tal Dagor and Golden Plains. I intend to reach out to those kingdoms to get some war events planned to really rally the kingdom together on the field.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:23 pm 

Currently I am working as an autocrat for our upcoming End Reign. What I am doing is helping to organize a site that will generate some funds via cabin auction.

I also think it is important to listen to ideas coming in from park populace to support them in their endeavors to help in fundraising. Just today we had a park Court, the topic of fundraising came up, and we had a park member come up with an idea that I had never heard of that was from her previous Kingdom. I think as a Kingdom officer, it will be my responsibility to listen to and support these sorts of ideas and make sure they become realities.

I strongly think that being in-person in a safe way is our best way to build funds, as well as go forward as a Kingdom. COVID is currently on the decline, but that doesn’t mean it is going to stay that way. I plan to help our Kingdom be vigilant and responsive to this pandemic. Part of the reason I feel we are in such a financial crisis is we have not been able to meet in person. It is important to me that we find ways to continue to meet while also being safe, and following CDC guidelines.

Also, I feel like I should talk about my previous history. I have helped run a successful Dagorhir chapter for the past 15 years. We have had ups and downs with our finances, and I look forward to using some of those lessons that I’ve learned through that organization for Amtgard.

Clarification edit: When I say divide I am referring to any or all of the following. The states divide, old guard vs new guard, us vs them etc.

In the mundane world, I work in HR for the State of Oklahoma. Part of my job that I enjoy most is Mediation. The whole idea of mediation is to facilitate conversations between two parties who are at an impasse in communication, and assist them in effective communication.. I hope to use these skills to help people here in Amtgard through their frustrations and get to the heart of any problems they may have. I feel that effective communication plays a large part in the unification of any Kingdom, and between Kingdoms as well.

I spoke at great length with Yawp at his AMA about his thoughts on the Texas-Oklahoma divide. I feel like he had a lot of great ideas that I would be excited to work with him on. Specifically, looking for good events sites in the TX, OK, and/or AR areas that meet our Kingdom’s needs.

I think a lot of how this divide will be healed will depend on our Monarch. I see that we have Yawp, who has plans for uniting the Kingdom, and I like some of his ideas. I also see that we have Forge, who is himself a Texan and currently running our Kingdom’s Weaponmaster in Norman, OK. I think that that is a good step for bringing the Kingdom together in a more centralized area. I also see that we have Worrak, who lives in OK now but is 100% a Texan at heart and has great connections with the other Texas Kingdoms. I think I can work with any of these three to help move our Kingdom forward.

Recruiting is a complicated issue. Personally, I find that the best way to find recruits - for me at least - has been cross-gaming. I would like to share my knowledge of other sword fighting games and make it easier for our local parks to encourage cross-gaming.

I also think Kingdom visits can be a useful tool for recruiting, as well as Park Wars. I’ve talked over ideas with the different Monarch candidates, and I like some of what they’ve suggested. I look forward to implementing them.

I will of course be supportive of anyone who needs or wants help in rebuilding their park. I think those struggling parks are the ones who likely need Kingdom visits the most.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:47 am 

Cross posted for KGMR candidate Shroudstar.

These are not going to be as developed as I want them to be, but I am answering these questions literally in the midst of a family emergency, so I hope people can understand.

There are a lot of fun tournaments and games that we could do that involve purchasing buffs, or special abilities. Some of the most fun fundraisers I've been do have been water balloon fundraisers, which I think the EH has done before if I recall correctly. Keeps people involved and makes money....plus more whacking just in a different form. It could also be fun to have a team goblin ball tournament - make a team, buy a spot - murder some goblins.

There's going to be divides wherever we are. That's probably not a GOOD answer but it's an honest one. We aren't ever going to make everyone happy. But we can come to compromises, make sure everyone feels heard, and do our best. But if we approach divides with the idea that everyone is going to step out of a conversation ecstatic with the resolution, we are going to burn out at a faster rate than usual.

Hopefully with new openings, it brings in new players who are excited about trying new things and getting out more. I'll be in the KGMR position, so I was considering doing rule quizzes (if the rest of the monarchy agrees). Each correct answer equals a point. If you collect enough points by midreign and endreign, you can 'buy' certain things. These things could be buffs for fighters, or RP flavor like 'a secret about the the monarchs evil plan'. People get to pick, and that way someone who doesn't love fighting on the field can be just as involved as a bad-@$$ wizard. If people aren't going to the events, park officers can confer with me and we can give them cool things at a park level so no one feels left out just because they can't get off work for an event, or can't do the drive.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:47 pm 

As a group we have been very proud of not being a “pay to play” game, and that’s been a huge boon to growing and maintaining population levels in parks. I don’t think there is a benefit to any single or series of fundraisers which will alleviate the problem because it’s systemic. However, I do believe we need to create a culture where we normalize the concept of being dues paid. I also feel we have overlooked a huge change in how we participate in the game, which can be monetized. Virtual classes or lessons, one-on-one sessions with artisans willing to donate their time in return for donations to the Kingdom, ongoing opportunities for our more tenured players to mentor newer talent to the benefit of the kingdom.
As with my previous Statescraft response, I recognize also that this is not my personal forte, and I’ll be asking for people who actually are good at this to chip in. I’m gonna need help and I’m going to be open to someone smarter than myself to make good on this commitment.

We need to focus on what brings us together, not what makes us different. Part of what I’d like to propose is a series of slight changes which widen the options for “old guard” to get closer to the “new guard”, to better understand and appreciate each other. Where the states divide is concerned, I’d really like to hear from the populace where they stand. I’d like to get out to meet and have this discussion face to face with our people, and let that be the basis on how we address the problem. In sizing up travel plans over the last year of attempted Kingdom Visits as we (re)opened, its become apparent to me that no matter where we hold an event, there are some parks inherently handicapped when it comes to access to Kingdom events.

One of the greatest things we have developed over the past couple of years has been open virtual communications with Monarchs across the Kingdom. I’ve been fortunate to see firsthand how this has been vital in maintaining level playing fields of communication across the board. I believe that this can be leveraged to share successes in recruitment and promotional events. For example, in Kings Point, we created a banner with an imbedded QR code on it so people walking or driving by have an easy go-to for finding out what we are about. Also, leaning in on people who have historically had a knack for recruitment, who have ties to the organizations who run Con’s, local game stores, etc… and throwing large support in any particular area behind those efforts. In the DFW area any given Con will pull people from all over, so if we have members from multiple parks all present at a variety of events we should have the faces and names to welcome new recruits to the various parks in the new folks’ backyards.
The separate problem of fewer declarees for leadership positions is a separate problem. I think that by keeping the bar for entry low as we have so far, will help prevent some folks from balking. Virtual and online qualifications processes have worked so far, and I wouldn’t want to rush to reinstate previous means of gaining Hydra/Chimera until we have recovered some of our population levels.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard