Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:52 pm 

Those who have declared for the following offices need to answer the statecraft questions at the bottom of this post.

Kingdom Monarch
    Tibbers of the Mud
    Forge Stormborn

Kingdom Regent
    Nim’Riel Saeavain

KGMR
    Rorek Silverlight
    Mortyn

Statecraft Questions
1: Fundraising has become more important for us as time has moved forward, such that we won’t be as dependent on a few persons with deep pockets to keep the doors open – Do you have any plans for fundraising, or any plans to support fundraising methodologies by others?

2: How do you plan to encourage and support our park monarchies as we move forward?

3: Officers and volunteers suffer a substantive amount of abuse/burnout, seemingly enhanced due to the stresses of COVID – do you have any plans to help encourage volunteers and leaders as we return so that we have ample staff for events/parks?

In Service to The Dream
Grand Duke Sir Bjorn Banhammer the Storm Crowned

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:21 pm 

1: Fundraising has become more important for us as time has moved forward, such that we won’t be as dependent on a few persons with deep pockets to keep the doors open – Do you have any plans for fundraising, or any plans to support fundraising methodologies by others?

***As regent, my position is to support the monarch through arts and science contributions. One of the most powerful ways to fundraise is to employ the talents of the kingdom to donate for a cause. A kingdom arts and science auction, a donate to enter themed contest (silliest weapon, reign themed costume contest, best roleplay video, etc...), and fundraising feasts when they are allowed again...these are a few ideas. The possibilities are limitless when the regents work together across the kingdom and are in like mind with the Monarchy.

2: How do you plan to encourage and support our park monarchies as we move forward?

*** I plan to support the park monarchs by working in tandem with the park regents to generate ideas, have discussions, and identify/target needs of the populace in the areas of roleplay and arts and science products. Supporting the theme of the Monarch is also important to keep the kingdom engaged. Listening is a key component. The monarch team of the kingdom is a partner with the parks and should be involved as part of the reign process.
3: Officers and volunteers suffer a substantive amount of abuse/burnout, seemingly enhanced due to the stresses of COVID – do you have any plans to help encourage volunteers and leaders as we return so that we have ample staff for events/parks?

I never ask anyone to do what I will not do first myself. The kingdom level monarch team is the cushion for the parks. Feedback, support, recognition, and example are four exemplar ways to support the pulse of the leaders and ultimately the denizens of the kingdom. Keeping the struggling members on the radar and providing frequent checkins raises the morale when they are made aware of the strengths they bring to the table of Emerald Hills. Communicating appreciations goes a long way while buffering from the abuses the game can bring.
Knowing the characteristics of humans and not allowing those attributes to sway from the bigger goal is an influence I hope to consistently bring.

Wish me luck,
~~~Nim'riel

Post Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 10:39 pm 

I am actively focused on fundraising/positive revenue generation at the park level with Storm Grove, as well as with AI as part of the fundraising team. As kingdom treasurer I looked into many of the options and limitations available for our kingdom and subgroups and will be working on overall revenue generation outside of my specific role in office.

With Amtgard starting back up there are varied ways that parks and the kingdom can generate funds, some of which are outlined in the kingdom fundraising guidelines document on the kingdom website. Additionally, watch out for some of the big game wide fundraisers that are coming around the bend!

In the role of KGMR I would be assisting park monarchies mainly with adjudicating confusing questions about the rules or assisting in the training/qualifying of reeves.

Even though as a kingdom we may be rusty with some of the more complex/edge cases in the rules, I suspect the largest point of assistance will be assisting in improving the skillsets of our active reeves, generating new reeves, and ensuring adequate number of reeves available for any events that we are able to put on (reopening dependent.)
I intend to accomplish this via a combination of classes, workshops, and discussion threads. With ample opportunities for development and general spread of information I hope to see our Kingdom being a beacon of rules knowledge and reeve ability for the game!

The two primary things that I have observed helping volunteers with the burnout/stress/abuse that comes with volunteering are praise and support.
For praise, I intend to fervently cheer on and thank the volunteers that are spending their time and effort to keep our game running – whether that be publicly or privately as they are comfortable with.
For support I intend to check in on volunteers regularly, to see if there is anything that is overwhelming or they need help with, as well as continuing to make as many tools to streamline processes as I can find.

In addition to that, I'll be continuing to work towards fostering an attitude of general support and kindness towards our volunteers – at the end of the day all of us are in it together [smilie=icon_cheesygrin.gif]

Post Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 10:46 pm 

A: My goal for becoming GMR is to implement and practice knowledge of the Rules of Play. I have two fundraising ideas that align with this goal. The first being a Weekly Rulebook Trivia Night where the participants donate to enter and test their knowledge. The participants' scores would be kept track of via spreadsheet and if the participants answer at least 100 questions throughout the reign (and get at least 75% correct) using this activity it would qualify for the Reeves test and thereby creating a more active college of Reeves. The second being a Test of Prowess Tournament to be held at events (allowing based on COVID restrictions), participants would donate to enter a single class (ex. Assassins only) free-for-all where the combatants have a set number of lives. This will give players an opportunity to demonstrate how well they know/play their class on a kingdom level. If there are any additional concepts proposed by the other officers Im willing to hear their idea and give feedback/help them futher their idea into action.

A: I am a proponent for communication between kingdom and parks, which I believe could be boosted by a community forum (possibly a Facebook group) for all of the officers (park and kingdom) to gather and share perspectives if any of us needs advice. With busy schedules, the concept of having unique threads to reply to rather than a message that could be lost in a group chat, I feel could allow more opportunity for feedback and build teamwork between al of the monarchies.

A: We need to fight the stigmas associated with volunteering (such as the feeling of being isolated and/or unacknowledged) by building a rapport between the Crat teams and the officers (ex Monarch - Autocrat, Regent - A&S Crat, etc.) to where both openly communicate and assist when needed as this will promote community and reinforce teamwork between all involved Recognizing the individuals that devote their time also needs to become more commonplace to thank and show appreciation for their effort.

In service,
Lord Squire Rorek Silverlight

Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:15 pm 

I do not personally have any unique plans for fundraising. While I have some minor experience with Food Fight, this is honestly a weak spot for me.

I know it is something we will need to be doing moving forward and have seen it be a topic at park, kingdom and IK levels.

I am one hundred percent open to ideas, and would like to help assist in pursuing it further.

The only true thought I have is something I've seen pointed out, which is looking for out of game solutions for fundraising, so that we are not solely relying on our populace for donations.

Ultimately though, this is something I will need to seek out help and guidance from others on.

My primary focus on this will be to try and help parks grow and rebuild.

I have a plan structure that can help parks with recruiting and growing, and have talked about some specifics on the Kingdom page. It is something I see as a more Midreign goal, and not a sole solution.

Given as we enter this next reign, and the scarcity of declared park Monarchies, my goal will be to try and assist parks as much as possible with day to day operations.

My primary goal will be to help parks move through their reopening processes as best as possible, then to begin with player retention, and then move towards recruiting as parks move towards Phase 3 and hopefully as a whole Phase 4.

Coming into this next reign I've seen that many of our parks are going to be short staffed and running on small monarchy teams.

My goals will be to help parks on rebuilding and reopening. Player retention, and eventually growth. In addition I hope to work in conjunction with our other monarchy members, to try and help lessen the burden on short staffed parks, that may not have champions, regents etc.

When it comes to burnout and staffing events, I would like to reuse and continue the system of mentor crats, to help encourage new crats and give them an opportunity to step up and have guidance when cratting. It can be fearful to step into a cratting position especially at kingdom and IK level, even with co-crat experience, and the goal will be to help continue teaching and fostering new members.

When it comes to volunteer abuse, I plan to keep an eye out for it, and to address it as we go. The only way we can solve the problem is to call it out and address it as it happens. As with the community guidelines we have for the pages and forums, we need to hold each other to a higher standard, and continue to enforce a consistent one.

I believe that as we address these situations, and show that we will not accept our volunteers to be treated this way, we can at minimum reduce the issue, and hopefully be able to start fostering a more positive encouraging environment.

Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:49 pm 

This has been an interesting topic for me to consider, as fundraising isn’t a naturally strong suit for me. I’ll start however, by laying out a strategy that seems to make sense. Understand that some of what I may speak to may have already been considered and either failed or dismissed in previous reigns. A Fundraising committee formed of folks for whom this IS a strong suit, leveraging the strengths of our populace. Understanding that this is something that will take more than a single individual or group, reach out to AI Fundraising team for support and advice on best practices and what to avoid. I’m going to have to be able to hear and act upon the advice of others.
Core to my thought process is that Amtgard in general is largely an income challenged group, what can we do to bring funds in from outside sources( A sticky area with potential serious consequences if we go about it wrong.)? What can we do to incentivize internally to get more dues paid members? What other resources can we motivate to assist? We have Flame knights and other service-oriented households, companies, and individuals who are just waiting to be tapped for such things.
And, of course I would love to support existing and ongoing efforts. The internet has made this much easier and even normalized. How that looks in actions can vary in appearances, utilizing theme based “Witcher Approved” endorsement shares, personal appearances, or something like auctioning off a place at the high table (when we are able to meet again for feast). I’m open to options, and encourage my parks to get creative, knowing I’m onboard because if they come up with a crazy plan, and it works… its not crazy.

Well, as a current park monarch, I’m aware of many efforts made by past monarchs to enhance communications with park monarchy teams. Chat groups, FB groups, etc. As we are so far flung and culturally diverse, I’d want to be vocal about events and happenings across parks. I’d also like for myself and and my team to reach out to individuals in park level monarchies and continually ask the question “Where/How can I help?”. Kal has done great in setting up an expectation that the Kingdom is backing the local monarch teams, I’d like to see that continued in all roles. Essentially take lessons learned in one area and be able to pass those successes to other areas.
I know that to some of you this just seems like “Management 101”, but it really is essential, and that’s something I bring to the table as a strength. I was a manager for many years on a professional level in the corporate world and was extremely successful.
a

Well, to dovetail with the previous question, attentiveness and communication. Once you know who your teams are on local levels, you can attune your responses to their situations. I’m lucky in that I’m in a really incredible beltline and have access to resources and connections that many just don’t. Broad strokes that’s the plan, but I have a tendency to get personally involved and stay involved well past immediate problems, helping to mentor folks who need encouragement, or just be a touchpoint for random thoughts, plans, or ideas. This natural part of my management style so it actually gets me invigorated rather than burning out. And if there is abuse of my officers, I want to be the one who says “come beat on me instead, I can take it”, and handle it personally.

Finally, I know I mentioned my Beltline, and I wanted to bring up another piece of the puzzle for consideration on beyond the statescraft questions. Some of yall might not remember, but I was in High office when the shutdown was initiated (pro-tem Champion). I’ve worked with Brocktree and his Officers through formulating responses and processes to manage a rather unruly bunch of players (that’s all of you). Throughout this previous year it has been my beltline brother Squire Bloodwood, and my Knight, Sir Kal Thrax, keeping the wheels from falling off the wagon. I feel it would be so much for the better to have someone in office who has a long history working with the ones who got us where we are. I think that some stress and hassle will be averted by simply having consistency in management styles. This is one area where I strongly feel I’m the better choice.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:40 pm 

The first of the core of the questions here is if I personally have any plans for fundraising. Off the top of my head, I would say no, I have none personally. However, to answer the second part of if I have any plans to support methodologies by others, the answer is a resounding yes. I am very open to methods that have been proven successful not only in our own kingdom in the past, but how other kingdoms are doing it, and if it could be adapted to our specific population. I fully understand the overall demographics of our people, the week-to-week wonderful people who may not be stepping up, but they do love to step into the game on a consistent basis. There are many ideas of the past that could be updated and even focused to our needs and particular circumstances right now. Many could be run through the Regent's position as A&S based, but designed to enhance the Kingdom's fiscal stance. Everything from raffles to auctions to ongoing challenges to seasonally focused refreshments for minimal investments and good returns. There are as many ways to fund-raise as we have people to put their heads together in meaningful ways. The eventual point of the questions is if I would support such endeavors. I attempted to do something of this nature through a household a couple of years ago. We were initially very successful. The end result came not from lack of interest as much from lack of positive, continuous leadership. However, the model was a good one and could be good again if this is how the leadership of the monarchy wishes to go. More than any ideas I could have would be the depth of support and cooperation which I feel I could bring to the table in this area.

I want to come to this from the viewpoint of a Prime Minister. First and foremost is the mentoring position of the KPM in making sure that our local parks have well-informed local PMs. Hands-on training at events, one-on-one conversations with new PMs, being available, and even the visits that are put onto a positive footing are all very important. The Kingdom PM must absolutely make the park PMs understand how very much they are valued. I have a lot of background in being a regent, and can also help local regents get to know the ropes a bit, and feel more confident when they step out of their comfort zones into A&S competitions. Even helping local monarchs come to appreciate the Monarch and PM connection that is so deeply written into our corpora. One thing that we need to do once we open more is to ensure personally that the park level PM/Monarch teams are working well and strongly. I see being able to support local parks as well in the area of advice for their own goals and how to attain them, and even goal setting for individual parks. I would also like to see a functioning Champion's Book of Battle Games for each park. Showing them examples or even giving the inexpensive beginning book to each park could work wonders in terms of re-energizing battle games and park days overall.

This can only be done through recruitment. However, there is one suggestion that has come to me in the last months that might warrant a conversation: Having positions of Mentee-Monarch, Mentee-Champion, etc. Where the one in office has the responsibilities, but the mentee gets the on-the-job training to see what these positions do and do not entail. Let us train up our next generation of leaders. Allow monarchs to recruit their own mentees and not just wait for populous members to ask to fill the role. We need to actively look for people to encourage into leadership positions. So many of our people are only here for the battlefield. We need to show them how the leaderships positions can be as rewarding as a battlefield win. As far as events are concerned, and volunteers, we still need to watch and talk to the volunteers who are so willing to help in the kitchen, but not be the Feast-Crat. Take one on and sit with them, encourage them, let them know you'd be willing to be THEIR co-crat for the next event. Same with Gate or War events. Find the reeves who love reeving, find the gate-Orks who love sitting gate but are too timid or reticent about doing it themselves. Offer to be THEIR co-crat next event. It's by individual conversations, being encouraging, being positive, and letting people see that you have fun in leadership that makes others want to step along your path.

Now, as far as the abuse goes, that is a whole new kind of question. Every single Amtgarder in the EH needs to stand up to this, no matter the abuser's affiliation of company, household, or ties of friendship or family. If you don't agree with the decisions of the group (insert titled position, leadership position etc, here), impassioned disagreement can still remain civil. Fortunately, the last few years have shown again and again that the consequences for this kind of action can and will be met with a swift and determined front of our Corpora and the Code of Conduct. The one note I would add would be that such actions and such codes must always be equally applied regardless of affiliation or personality, or connections.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard