Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:08 pm 

This is my proposal given to the CoK. It can be found in a discussion on eSam. I have changed it to fit my own feelings about what our kingdom stands for. The ceremony uses part of this same thread constructed into an oath that should be acceptable to all. The CoK, so far, does not want to allow me access to their forum to discuss this and build and acceptable plan before going to the populace so I am opening it to the populace for your input as well.

Proposed
Knight’s Code of the Emerald Hills

Integrity

Do not tell lies
Do not bear false witness
Keep your word once given
Do not cheat for an in-game advantage
Use empathy, not strength, to leverage an unbiased perspective

Temperament

Lead by example
Treat others with respect even when disagreeing
Remove oneself from conflict if one cannot control one’s anger
Do not use fear or intimidation to influence others
Learn, and accept, ones own weaknesses and try to improve them

Courage

Uphold the Law of the Emerald Hills and the Rules of Play
Support the Monarchy in public, discuss issues in private
Voice dissenting opinions in a respectful way
Always respect and abide by the decisions of the Monarch or his representative
Do not break federal, state, or county laws while representing the Emerald Hills
Do not support breaking rules, cheating, fudging the rules, or laws by your actions or inaction

Proposed Oath and Knighting Ceremony

Candidates must perform a knight’s vigil unless there are extenuating circumstances

Monarch: Whereas Masterhood is recognition of skill, Knighthood is recognition of character and service as a positive role-model for Amtgard and the Emerald Hills in addition to having skill beyond that of a master. Selection for and acceptance of Knighthood requires a continued commitment beyond demonstrating excellence in a chosen path. Knights and those aspiring to become knights are expected to conduct themselves as positive role-models within the game. Knights are expected to be examples of integrity and respect when dealing with others and be willing to act as mentors to others.

Do you swear to uphold the Knight’s Code and this charge?

Candidate: I do so swear

Knight/Monarch( if belted ): Knighting Ceremony

I also have a problem with the unadorned chain. This chain should be of simple construction and of plain metal. Think small logging chain. It is a symbol of service not a decoration. Colored chains or fancy chain maile chains are in and of themselves adorned.

Squire to Sir Logan T. Black
Clan Chieftain of the Turtle Clan
Ship's Surgeon, HMS "Turtle's Revenge"
Gaslight Sky Pirate

"Dwarves and mountains have one thing in common: It takes an almighty hammer and a tremendous amount of persistence to overcome them."

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:45 am 

I would remove the "Candidates must perform a knight’s vigil unless there are extenuating circumstances" as not everyone wants to know they're going to be belted.

"Until we stop viewing making a knight into a non-knight a fate worse than death we'll never be able to clean up knighthood." - Glen

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:06 pm 

Draeven wrote:
I would remove the "Candidates must perform a knight’s vigil unless there are extenuating circumstances" as not everyone wants to know they're going to be belted.

Wouldn't that fall under the "extenuating circumstances" clause?

[smilie=icon_cool.gif]

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:25 pm 

that was my intention....hehe

Gaslight Sky Pirate

"Dwarves and mountains have one thing in common: It takes an almighty hammer and a tremendous amount of persistence to overcome them."

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:38 am 

IMO I believe if we want to make rules for the Knights, the rules should be submitted to an Allthing and allow us as a people decide. I think anything referencing mundane laws or actions should be removed. Mundania should have little bearing on one's knighthood. Its a crime to speed, littler, jay walk or spit on the sidewalk. But this is just my opinion.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:44 am 

Krylis, have you read the althing agenda? What ever the knights come up with, will indeed be put before the populace. In reference to mundane laws, my intention was those laws that affect Amtgard and breaking those laws while actively participating in amtgard. What anyone does away from the game is their business, but while at an Amtgard event or representing this kingdom, mundane laws must be followed.

Gaslight Sky Pirate

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:50 am 

You are correct, laws must be followed. However, your wording is very grey and open to interpretation. I misread CoK as CoM, my mistake.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:55 am 

no worries...Im just glad people are looking at the subject. Good or bad, right or wrong....we all have a responsibility to address this issue.

Gaslight Sky Pirate

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:42 pm 

Here's a little something I've been working on...

As An Arrant Knight of Amtgard and Anti-Paladin of the Emerald Hills…
I, Sir Delphos Darkheart, do Solemnly Pledge…

To speak the truth even in the face of adversity.
To make word and bond the same.
To make no false promises.
To protect the innocent from those who would use them.
To cause no harm to any who have not caused harm.
To stand against that which is unjust.
To show everyone equal respect and expect the same in return.
And to serve the Heart of my Kingdom to the best of my ability.

This Oath I swear upon my Belts of Flame and Serpent.

Sir Lord Baron Delphos Darkheart

[smilie=icon_cool.gif]

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:28 am 

as an non-eh, about the only part I'd have a problem with is

Quote:
Support the Monarchy in public, discuss issues in private

ironically under the category of "courage".

I think as long as the following clause---
Quote:
Voice dissenting opinions in a respectful way

is adhered to, then the former almost comes across as a freedom of speech issue. I would think it almost a duty to speak ones mind if they feel the monarchy is wrong... provided it is in a respectful way.

Anyway otherwise, most of the rest of it is stuff that knights... hell, and people... should be doing anyway. But perhaps a ceremony helps remind everyone of that.

R

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:12 am 

Sir Delphos Darkheart wrote:
Here's a little something I've been working on...

As An Arrant Knight of Amtgard and Anti-Paladin of the Emerald Hills…
I, Sir Delphos Darkheart, do Solemnly Pledge…

To speak the truth even in the face of adversity.
To make word and bond the same.
To make no false promises.
To protect the innocent from those who would use them.
To cause no harm to any who have not caused harm.
To stand against that which is unjust.
To show everyone equal respect and expect the same in return.
And to serve the Heart of my Kingdom to the best of my ability.

This Oath I swear upon my Belts of Flame and Serpent.

Sir Lord Baron Delphos Darkheart

[smilie=icon_cool.gif]

This.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:30 pm 

I very much like this one as well.

Gaslight Sky Pirate

Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:51 pm 

My thanks to Sir Nevron, Sir Delphos, and to the other knights who have chimed in on this heated topic. It is unfortunate that so few of the peerage have added their voice to this discussion. I was asked by members of the CoK to address this issue, and was asked to voice it in open forum for discussion. My original post was simply a suggestion to foster this discussion and was in no means meant as a way of showing any disrespect to the Knights of this kingdom.

Gaslight Sky Pirate

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:19 am 

Honestly much of the drama or rancor in the knights circle for years has gone back every time to that fated night when Clio exercised a right that is clearly Corpora legal, yet has seldom been exercised in this kingdom without the circle's involvement. I personally feel that coming full circle on that issue will result in a form of self correction amongst the circle. That's just how I view it.

With regard to an oath: Each knight is a completely unique individual. I don't feel an oath can be made to fit all.

You want my oath? As I told Forest at the park today here it is:

"I swear to abide by *my* code."

Dame Nightengael Bahuas
Nightmare of Artus Pass
Dragonmaster X XX XXX
Sable Pride Stormtrooper 66

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:42 am 

I felt I should further clarify some of the above. I am one of the rare parties who really has no personal negativity toward *either* of the aforementioned knights. But I have witnessed how the conversation in the circle seems to always wind up back on that same train track. I feel that moving in a wholly different direction may help us get off the circular loop. I understand that a lot of what the populace is looking for here from the knights is for us to find a way to hold one another responsible for our actions. That for whatever we are, it does not become a display of the darkest of us. We've had populace members who have been repeatedly banned, but it becomes a heavier question when a member is repeatedly banned wears a white belt. I feel requiring an oath or a pledge, and vigils, and limiting the aesthetics of a knight's chain is well beyond the scope of this conversation. These are window dressings. Curtains on the window are pretty, but it's not what helps us to see to the outside. Windows themselves are all that are truly needed. And though it's a process we sincerely hope we never need to utilize, it is clear that we now have to follow the footsteps of many other kingdoms who have put in place clear censures for their circle. The fact that so many other kingdoms have been in a position to already have a system by which to strip belts, and that the Emerald Hills is only now having to address the issue should say something. We have been lucky to have a community of people who thus far needn't take such actions. We are blessed that our members generally have the passion displayed by so many over these last few weeks, rather than ever having had to deal with repeated physical altercations. Have faith. Despite the fact that some members may not care for one another entirely or see eye to eye, the knights as a whole almost always come to some consensus when needed. Behind our doors we hash it out. Even now the current conversation, though a difficult one, draws near a resolution.

So this is what I ask you:

Please do not limit our individuality and passion is such fashions. Each person's feelings on knighthood are unique and very personal. Each person envisions their ceremony a little differently. I ask that we leave these requests with regard to a set version of oaths or codes by the wayside. I ask that you leave the decision to an individual whether a vigil is right for them, as we always have in the Hills. I ask that you allow us to represent our specific order of knighthood, company, or individual tastes in our adornments. I ask that you allow us to each be the beautiful and unique individuals that make up the populace of this honoured kingdom.

In return we will give to you a very clear and thought out process to hold one another accountable.

Dame Nightengael Bahuas
Nightmare of Artus Pass
Dragonmaster X XX XXX
Sable Pride Stormtrooper 66

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard