Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard

Post subject: Is Amtgard a LARP?
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:59 am 

Is Amtgard a fantasy genre Live Action Roleplaying Game? Could some one who walked up on a game in the park tell that we are suposed to be people in a medieval world? Whats medieval about our game? The swords don't even resemble swords. Our garb is generaly uniform. Almost no one is "in character". Our feasts more often involve paper plates than feastgear. Is everyone okay with this? Are we content to just show up and hit each other with sticks? When was the last time you were in a quest with a coherent storyline? How often during a quest do you have to ask an NPC what sort of monster he is playing because you can't tell by looking? I realy don't have room to complain. During the last eight years I haven't done much to contribute to the "gaming" side of Amtgard. I enjoy hitting people for hours on end, but that's not why I started playing this game. I was sitting at the table after a dungeons and dragons game when one of the players said " hey, check out this game we used to play. It's like D&D but you get to be the character". What can I do to bring more "gaming" into amtgard? Has anyone actually written down a quest in an RPG style module with encounters, NPC, monsters ect. ? How do you run a game for 30+ people? Do you split everyone up into seperate groups? what have any of you tried? What worked best in the quests you have run/played in? What sucked most? I have been running tabletop games for 17 years. I intend to try to translate some of that to LARP gaming? Running a tabletop game every week for five or six players can be a daunting amount of work. I can opnly imagine the task of running a continuos campaign at an amtgard park. If anyone would like to share adventure ideas, scripts, modules, encounters ect, please email me. Is anyone even interested in this type of gaming at Amtgard?

Post subject: Re: Is Amtgard a LARP?
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:28 am 

This is something we have talked about a lot over the years. The major thing is that the game does not lend itself to the intense role-play like NERO or others. Why? Deaths don't matter. In other games, a death can wipe your character and make you start over. In Amtgard death = wait 5 min.

Secondly, since we are not a hit point based game, fighting is far more intensive because one hit can kill you. So the focus naturally shifts to fighting skills during a game.

This does not mean that we can not or should not incorporate more role play. But we need to make sure people realize that role play and fighting are not mutually exclusive. We will probably never get to the point where role play involves mostly riddle solving and character dialogue for an entire quest, but we can/should incorporate those elements.

Coronation will be our first shot at a 24 hour role play event. We will host another one at Midreign. This does not mean people have to talk in character or spend the entire event off the ditch field, it means that players will be able to play the game as normal, but with some atmosphere and flavor that will make it more of a fantasy game than just a day of swinging foam.

Sutra will need people for coronation I assume, and i know I will need people to help at midreign. Anyone who is genuinely interested, let me know.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard