Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:34 pm 

With the desire to make the game look and feel more attractive, I want to implement a tougher stance on garb requirements and their rewards/consequences outlined by the rulebook itself.

What I am posting is a recommended guideline of what I'd like to see and will use in addition to the garb requirements already in place and published in the rulebook.

Ripped and inspired from an outside LARP Game:

The minimum costume requirements are:
A tunic of crotch length or longer.
Medieval-style pants.*
Medieval-style footwear (moccasins, sandals, boots, etc.) or earth-tone shoes.`

*If you don't have medieval-style breeches (pants), then you could wear shorts that are covered by your tunic along with leggings, moccasins, or knee-high boots. You may also wear "normal" pants, such as sweat pants or khakis (not jeans or camouflage) provided that the fly and pockets are covered by your tunic.
`Footwear: Wear brown or black shoes or boots

NOTE:The costume you choose should reflect your character:

I will be enforcing this old rule at the Barony of Midnight Sun. It'll make for good pictures and great gaming.

I will also be enforcing it at this Coronations Battlegame and Roleplay. So if you want to play your 6th level Master Wizard or Archer, please dress the part. It'll make recruiting easier too.

Just a noob champ-protem,
S

p.s. yeah, I'll be making sure to do weapons checks as well.

-------------------------------------
Peasant (non-standard)
Peasants are players who do not have appropriate garb for a class but still want to play. You may take credits in peasant but they have
no levels, so no advantages are gained from doing so.
Garb: None
Weapons: Dagger, short
Armor: None
Shield: None
Lives: 4
Limitation: Is only played if a player does not have garb and equipment for any other class. Must be played if appropriate garb is not worn.

-------------------------------

Raider (non-standard)
Someone may optionally play raider during his or her first four weeks in Amtgard instead of a normal class. It gives them a power boost and lets them learn only a few rules at a time.
Garb: Black and white or headband.
Requirement: May only be played if the player has a combined total of four credits or less
Weapons: Dagger, short, long, reach
Shield: Large
Armor: None
Limitations: May not carry enchantments.
Lives: 5
Abilities & Traits:
a. Have two points of Protect on them each life. Cannot be dispelled. (T)
b. They and their equipment are immune to all non-spirit magic. (T)
c. Their equipment is indestructible by any means. (T)

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:01 pm 

Are wrap pants acceptable under the new regime? Are tabards no longer acceptable unless worn over a full tunic? When I'm wearing a purple tunic, woven nylon purple belt, screen-printed synthetic sash, gore-tex boots with rubber soles, and have the sort of impossibly close shave made possible only by a modern, multi-blade lift and cut shaving system, you're telling me that the only reason I have to play peasant is the inauthentic WEAVE and SEAM on my black cotton trousers?

Just checking, thanks.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:52 pm 

Mwuahaha,

*slaps ass checks in kodiaks general direction*

I think ya get the gist o purpely tunic, nylon belted, synthetic sasher, boot wearing, lift and cut skinhead.

By Decree, you're being plain silly.

Not like my book ring induced 'surcoat'esque self has any room to talk.

It's a 'recommended' guideline to help decipher who'se in garb and who isn't.

Just FYI commrade.
S

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:35 pm 

So besides being a little cheeky, allow me to further explain.

It is meant merely to be a suggestion and I will be enforcing that anyone who shows up (Midnight Sun) in jeans and a shirt and has been in the game for longer than a month to play peasant. Don't care if you're a bad mofo AP or 6th level Master Shaolin Monk. Not in garb, not in class.

If we can be hard@sses about other rules then why not something as simple as this one? Just a thought. I bet I'd have rules lawyers all over my arse if I sloughed a SOA. If rules should be taken seriously, why not garb requirements.

I think common sense in regards to what is 'period' garb and what isn't should rule. Sport's bra's, cleets, BDU's are a neccessity for some, fine. Heat and cold happens, I just want to emphasize that we dress as much as possible as if we were doing a demo at a convention trying to recruit newcommers.

I know true 'period' garb can wear one's money purse low or break it, and I know alot of vet's know how to work with modern items to fit the theme.

I ain't going to pull someone off the field for sports goggles or sunglasses, just like sports bras and BDU's they make sense for a good portion of the crowd. I may say something about cowboy hats or baseball caps though.

This is all in addition to what's already set forth in the rulebook regarding class garb reqs.

With this in mind, companies and houses, get your newbs garbed out. Parks, talk about getting a donor garb box for newbies. Serpent Knights, take on a noob project and have fun with it. Sword Knights, how bout some 1pt leather armor from your refuse.

These are not my ideas nor will they be original. I'm only going by some really great ideas that have been recently proposed.

Sweats or black jeans instead of blue jeans? Very do-able

Seriously,
S

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:49 pm 

So if someone at your park wanted to wear.... lets say a hockey helmet, that would not be allowed right?

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:36 pm 

I do believe that the garb should be enforced. Our rule of no garb =1st warrior. I think that the only thing sadder to passersby than people in medieval clothing is people in medieval clothing fighting with someone in blue jeans and a kiss t-shirt. thats just horrible.

But I think that the shoe thing is a little too far. first of all, medieval footware is hard to procure and not often affordable. It is also easier to injure yourself in that footware, as it degrades quickly and cannot protect from general hard terrain and running. It can lead to foot problems in the long run. But if shoes cannot be deemed acceptable than I propose a workshop to make some sort of removable leather shoe covering.

Other than that more power to ya.

- Native of Trachis prior to Battle of Thermopylae

"Good. Then we shall fight in the shade."

-Dionykes, Spartan hoplite[/align]

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:32 am 

I think Sutra's heart is in the right place. People have gotten away from wearing garb at times and it does detract from the game. But be careful, going beyond the rulebook requirements or enforcing things too strictly can lead to players nto playing/not attending the park and that is worse than players out of garb.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:52 am 

X-Posted from the Yahoo list:
Not a reply to anyone here, cept maybe Kodiak. Teehe!

SHIAT!

Okay, with this out of the way, I will esplain. I thought that many of my peers would have comprehended the terms "recommended guidelines". I guess I'll have to mash it up and spoon feed some of ya'll. *Evil Grin(tm)*

It's a recommended guidelines. Who the helt said you have to go out and trade in all your mechs and sporty bras and tennis shoes for steel plate, corsettes and egyptian sandals. I said I want to, not I'm going to. Want does not equal will. So I can't 'enforce' it at all parks or events. But I can push the GMR and Class GM's at our park at least to consider being a
little more stringent.

Use common sense. Seriously, how "period" are a pair of Lee jeans and an orange Hanes Beefy-T?

The minimum costume requirements are just that, ripped and 'inspired', not dictating this new 'Amt-Qaeda' movement many have decided to rebel against.

So for anyone telling me to piss off or pming me to "choke on this period"* (*made that one up), GO FLURB YOURSELF! Mwuahaha. Just dress somewhat fantastic, and I don't mean glittery sequins Kitten, I don't think Mongols used em even for distraction.

That's all I'm saying, try to look a little more authentic than showing up to your park or event wearing Anchor Blue shorts and a ratty Anime shirt.

And all you guys plaining bout bills and lack of money, Duh, I know where you're comming from. Fabric can be expensive, hell, my first wardrobe was a woman's black skirt, a lifting belt, and lot's of chains, and old black cotton dress shirt with shoelace instead of the buttons, all from a thrift store, for under $10.

Hell many of you bad mofos out there are probably playing with a $10 polearm and a $15 shield. Get off it.

I may still wear womens clothing in private but I ventured into buying a pair of black sweats, some neat but out of commision 'ninja' tabi, and a black plain shirt covered by a simple and threadbare black "tunic".

I later went on with experimenting in sewing and made my first tabbard. Just threw in a what it do-rag.

I've been actively in the game for a little over 3 and a half years and have eagerly moded a Blue Balls Reverend coat into my imfamous, "what the hell is that" book ring tunic.

So if you've been in the game for at least 5yrs, there's really no excuse to not have garb.

I have helped garb out newbies, hell, last year for banner wars, out team had really well made tabards made and I bought the unclaimed/unused ones, about 6 total for $5 a piece. Over the period of 6 months, I've managed to hand em off free of charge to kids in dire need of something that resembles garb. Hell, Thangorns dad has one of em, so he woulnd't feel too out of place at a coronation.

I've sent out a bag with HRM Clio to Oklahoma with left over fabric, leather, and somewhat finished pieces of garb for the newest park in out kingdom.

Am I looking for praise, not yet. I'd garb the world out if I could. But I know better than that. I've heard great ideas of 'adopt a newbie', heard talks about 'garb boxes' and 'stich and bitch' sessions. Haven't seen em happpen yet, probably means I'm not paying attention or hanging out at the right places.

Don't spend $300 dollars to look like an authentic privateer, don't try to pass of as Ferdinand II, or Nerfertiti. Just try to imagine what little it takes to impress some passerbys.

I will be enforcing this idea at Midnight Sun because I myself have been too lax and passive with enforching rules or being a decent reeve. It's definetly a shortcomming on my behalf and I'm taking measures to correct it.

So, don't get pissy if you show up to MS wearing FUBUS and an addidas shirts, only to be delcared a peasent.

And dammit, who the heck is saying go out and buy "period" thigh highs leather boots!?

The "inspired" list says:

'Medieval-style footwear (moccasins, sandals, boots, etc.) or earth-tone shoes.`

Where the hell did earth-tone shoes get lost in the shuffle? I'm getting bit's of "I can't afford medieval boots" and "why when I can wear cleets?"

To clarify, I will not be ripping on people wearing black boots or dark cleets. But I've seen a couple pics with white sneakers. See the differance.

Eh, whatever.

This is not a "pay to play", never has been right? But I'd like to see "dress and play" themes
sometimes.

Okay. I'm done.
S
p.s. - and no, I don't still women's clothing. not all the time at least. : p
p.p.s - do read all the posts on the matter before replying to an older post? could have saved a lot of time and energy by not replying to clarified items

examples in progression:
http://www.genericrevolution.com/amtgar ... er2002.htm
http://www.genericrevolution.com/amtgar ... 5B1%5D.htm
http://www.genericrevolution.com/amtgar ... 180005.htm

Good example of Garbed Kodiak and Mundane Sutra:
http://www.genericrevolution.com/amtgar ... index.html
I'd be willing to say that a tabard over that is garbed out.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:06 am 

sutrasx";p="1686 wrote:
It's a recommended guidelines.

It also says "The minimum costume requirements are:" and from there states that black jeans are never allowed, and then you say "I will be enforcing this old rule..." So maybe I was mistaken to think that you were going to be making people play peasant if they wore black jeans - but it was an honest mistake.

Quote:
p.p.s - do read all the posts on the matter before replying to an older post? could have saved a lot of time and energy by not replying to clarified items

Sorry, I don't see any posts in this thread except mine, Duo's and Heavy's. If I'm supposed to see something, it needs to be posted somewhere I can get to from here: http://amtgard-eh.com/links_mailinglists.html. I'm assuming based on your responses here that a tabard over a plain tee-shirt and sweats is acceptable.

I assume it didn't come across this way, but I'm all for keeping people in garb. I was just surprised that black jeans aren't acceptable, and was honestly curious about tabards (which don't seem to meet the minimum requirements) and wrap pants (which probably do meet the minimum requirements).

Quote:
Good example of Garbed Kodiak and Mundane Sutra:
http://www.genericrevolution.com/amtgar ... index.html
I'd be willing to say that a tabard over that is garbed out.

[strike]I can't get that link to work. It shows me a dude and a dog, and some thumbnails that do not respond to my mousely caresses. Just so you know.[/strike] Well, it works fine on the laptop. Weird.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:31 pm 

Yeah I know that I could have elaborated much better to begin with.

Yeah, your right, it does say "The minimum costume requirements are:" but it's under the sense of recommended guidelines.

Nothings set in stone.

And the p.p.s. was more for others who replied to the first email even after I posted to clarify the meaning behind it all.

Yeah, a tabard over plain shirt and sweats is way more appealing than jeans any day, but it can't beat out the last of the mohicans guy from events.

Like I said, common sense is all.

And yeah, the last set of pics is done in flash, so it may cause some systems to not display it properly.

Regards
S

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:24 pm 

If your footing is not as secure then you must be more cautious in how you step! If it isn't safe to run then don't! Let us all wear crappy shoes.
I'm in. I'll be wearing my black house slippers. They make me look like a samurai!

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard