Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard

Post subject: Earthbind/Assassin trap
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:21 pm 

Ok folks, it looks like we have a rather wide opinion on how these should work.

One end we have the idea that it should be completely incapacitating, and a person can only be freed by their friends. This turns it into a Stun that can be cast while moving.

The other end is that it only binds the feet and a person can get free as fast as they can cut their legs. This makes it a Hold Person that only works for maybe 5 seconds.

The middle ground would be to have it only bind the feet, but make the person say “free this leg” with each hit. Not a instant death, but slows the person for longer than the second option.

How do you think we should play it? I’m not looking for an interpretation of the current rules. I’m looking for proposals on what we would like it to be for a rule revision. We could split the two to give different flavors to the classes.

One thing to keep in mind, if the majority wish to have Assassin trap be a rapid Hold Person, I will also be putting forth a revision to make it 2/game a 2nd level. As a quick Hold Person, it seems a little underpowered at 1/game when compared to a short bow or 2 poison weapons at the same level.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:29 pm 

I don't think it should immobilize anything but the target's feet - it should be no more powerful than hold person. Also, if it totally incapacitates the target, it could protect them like an entangle instead of leaving them vulnerable like a stun.

I don't mind making someone freeing the target say "free this leg," but I don't see the point in making them say it once per hit. I'd be perfectly happy if every hit on that leg after saying "free this leg" counted toward freeing the leg, and only toward freeing the leg, until the person swinging the weapon disengages. (So you can't say to your opponent "here, let me get that for you" and then hit them 11 times in the leg to free that leg and wound it.)

This is one of the few abilities that can effectively cancel a barbarian's fight after death, and no matter how it's played it allows the scout to either escape or run down a single target with almost no effort, so I think even as a 5-second Hold Person it's a pretty effective ability.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:52 pm 

I agree with Kodiak. Well put.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard