Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard

Post subject: deceptive wording
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:16 am 

Okay here is the deal i got confused on a law at the TW b-day battlegame. Now I realize that i should not have argued the point on the feild but the guy that cast it on me likes to lie to me and my friends so i would like a clarification for the future please. the rule to Earthbind reads as such:The "victim" is held until each of his legs are struck 10 times with a slashing or bludgeoning weapon. "anyone" attempting to free the "victim" must state"I free this leg" while doing so or hits strike player as normal.
The way i understood this is that your buddy could now set you free from earthbind provided that he stated "i free this leg". then i am later told of regardless how the rule reads that you can commit suicide trying to free yourself being the victim. So i propose that this clarification get needs to get out before a newbie gets mad and quits because of how the rule is written. not to mention i would like to know myself. so are "anyone" and "victim" concidered the same? and if so what was the point of the deceptive wording? or was i simply lied to again?

Post subject: Re: deceptive wording
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:19 am 

i need a reeve or someone not of the justice league to clarify this since in my opinion they can not be trusted. not to be rude but they tend to close ranks and lie to cover each other in these situations. espeacialy when it concerns me or mine. thank you

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:16 am 

This is one of two things about Earthbind that might need to be cleared up. If someone else was trying to free you and did not say "free this leg" then, yes, you are dead. However, I don't think we've done self-inflicted melee wounds else alot of the people I've seen use flails would be killing themselves all the time. If you did not say"free this leg" while cutting at your own legs, then you did not free yourself but you sould not die.

I don't think that they so much lied to you, as misinterpreted the "strike player as normal"

This does bring up the other part of Earthbind that needs to be clarified. The 6.0 Scout Entangle was always played as a limited Hold Person, and Earthbind should be the same way. However, Earthbind does not say that you cannot move your feet. It says that you cannot move. So technically, so should not be able to move at all and therefor cannot free yourself. I'm already going to bring this up to the Rules Committee since I don't think that this was the intended result.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:08 pm 

yeah because it made things very confusing and started a fight. glad to see that someone else is interpeting this the way i am. i appreciate and thank you for your timely responce. also you might want to talk to Kenta as he is the one fighting tooth and nail along with that wanna-be Ice or Tice or whatever his name is, over that particular rule.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:08 pm 

Fytakin,

My interpratation of it follows the reasoning behind the Assassin Trap:

As per the Earthbind.

Earthbind is:

"Victim cannot move until each of his legs are struck ten times with a slashing or bludgeoning weapon... Anyone attempting to free the victim must state "free this leg" while doing so or the hits strike the player as normal."

---------------

So in MHO, it sounds like victim can't walk, i.e feet are 'glued' to the ground. In order to free oneself, each leg must be struck 10 times. At the same time, victim or team mate must state "free this leg" since it says "while doing so." 'Anyone attempting to free the victim' can easily become circular. But I take anyone to mean anyone in an all inclusive sense, be it the victim or a team member.

So yeah, I think, anyone can free an earthbound person, including self, by stating 'free this leg' while striking at each leg ten times with a slashing or bludgeoning weapon. So your kinda screwed if all you got is a dagger.

But if you were to compare the wording of 'can't move' as per the Entangle/Ice Ball and know the spell ball effects then the way Earthbind/Trap is worded, yeah, the victim can't free themselves at all. They can speak, but can't move at all.

Yeah, the wording is a bit off. I guess if you imagine someone being earthbound, then they'd be pinned or stuck in some kind of entangling shrubbery and would have to have someone else free em.

That's all I got to say about that.
S

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:27 pm 

sutrasx wrote:
So your kinda screwed if all you got is a dagger.

No, you can free yourself with a dagger. They are still slashing. They just don't work against armor unless it is a stab.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:38 pm 

Now see, that's a very good thing to know.

Not that much of a rules lawyer yet. More like a larp attorney.
S

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:14 pm 

I don't care how the rule reads, because we can change them. :wink:

If you can't move at all people shouldn't be able to kill you. Just like iceball and entangle.

I guess it makes sense for someone helping you to say 'I free this leg' however, fuck it. If they are on your team they are going to help. and if they hit your leg 10 times they obviously aren't trying to kill you. in the case that a team member accidently swung their sword into your leg then yeah... sure.... you should lose the leg. as far as yourself doing in for god's sake it doesn't seem neccesary to state 'i free this keg' the k and the 'L' button are awfully close. 8) hit, your leg 10 times. be done with it.

and if all you have to do is 'free your legs' then the rest of you must be fine. there is no reason that 'earthbind' would need to summon earth all about you. just up to the knees or waist would do it.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:48 pm 

This brings up a question I ran into at TW park as well, is Friendly Fire on here?

I.e. - A really bad shot from an archer hits his own teammate. Is he dead? Or in my case, a really confused ditcher backstabs you as he rolls the flank. Your toast, right?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:45 pm 

If the person who did the thing wanted the thing to affect its target, I always take it. I can't imagine someone blowing off a solid arrow hit because someone on their team happened to be the one who fired it - that's the price you pay for having a crappy archer on your team. Same goes for getting backstabbed by your teammates - I expect people to take that, since it's something that can, in principle, be controlled.

I often blow off jostles and bumps from other people's weapons, though, on the principle that they're not trying to throw a shot when it hits me.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:58 pm 

During Ditching I got in Brennons way and he stabed me even though I was on his team. I still took it because it was intintional. If someone whos team you are on acciedently hits you in the torso or limb you shouldn't take it because he or she did not meen for it to happen. Not that any one would be able to do this other than women but that does not give you the right to sluf a nut shot if a person on an oposing team nuts you on acciedent while trying to hit your leg or waist

4. Genghis Khan
Honor the great generals of old

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:22 pm 

on the trench thing if it hits you no matter how miniscule that shot counts. i have been guilty of cutting my own team down countless times and sending one of my better fighters to the other team on accident to be sure but it happens. and the chaos that is trenching shit happens all the time. in real battle friendly fire happens even in todays modern advanced warfare. to not take it is to rhino and i believe that this is behavior that needs to be broke. but the question on the scout earthbind remains, so lets please not change the topic. from what i am understanding it is like an iceball from the waist down that you yourself can cut loose from correct. but if another team-mate does it they have to state free this leg correct?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:46 pm 

Fytakin Killzmany wrote:
but if another team-mate does it they have to state free this leg correct?

Anyone attemping to free you, including yourself, must state"free this leg." If you don't, then it has no effect. If a teammate doesn't, it wounds you.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:39 am 

yes its like an iceball from the waist down but im not sure if it has a time limit i think if you forget what to do you will have to ask i dont think you can wait it out

4. Genghis Khan
Honor the great generals of old

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:46 am 

Yeah but Tolken,

The question boils down to:

Do you say it once or repeatedly while non-leathly hacking at your legs?

Just to clarify.
S

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard