Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Park Status
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:37 pm 

I am not an old timer and was not part of the game when the RP was at a high. I do hear stories of when we used to have quest at events that were more heavily participated in. I hear people from my own park talk about the quests we used ta have here. The only reason I have reamined as active as I have was to see some of these things I hear others talk about. I will hopefully be at the Birthday event as a Rp event sounds good. Maybe some of the parks that are closer to gether could do Once monthly RP days and inter park wars. I am bringing this up at Finders Keep ASAP. The main problem we have with interpark wars is travel. I will keep you all informed as to wether or not we decide to have a once monthly RP day what guidelines we set for it. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas I am more than willing to hear them.

Kracker Baron

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:47 pm 

kodiak";p="211 wrote:
Heh. Guess I read a bit too much into a few words, innit. I just felt like people were saying "anyone who is talking about demoting parks needs to focus on making Amtgard better instead!" And that's a frustrating thing to hear, because I am just as devastated as anyone at the population we have right now, but I'm at a loss for what to do about it - I've never been good at the 'recruiting' part of the game.

I have done alot of work recuiting and the like (I have Lions for it) and I am just thinking along those lines again. Peoples input in this matter,no matter what is usually always good.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:20 am 

Okay Ty, don't take this the wrong way...
But, isn't it ironic that a Live Action Roleplaying Game is going to "try" to roleplay once a month. :lol: Well, it's a start, Dude...go for it!

It should be easier for you being displaced as you are and smaller in size and with only one park in town.

Start with those closest to you and work your way outward.

The biggest problem is that too many newer players have never seen true "roleplay" in action. They haven't been to big events where everyone is in persona when talking to each other and even while fighting.
That mainly happened in the SCA and not many of us are around that still remember the days when Amtgard would attent SCA events.

What also makes it difficult, are those that don't want the game to be anything but a "sport". They downplay the "traditions" as nothing more than comfortable surroundings for the old folks.

Growth is not worth the price of loosing the depth of the "play".
I would rather have 100 players "really" into character than 1000 people just hitting each other with foam swords.

Create the roleplay within your small circle.
Don't try to script it out... set up the parameters and let it flow.
Make garb to play a monster... play the character of the monster.
Run an adventure based on long term interaction with that monster.
Encourage others to make more garb to play different monsters that may fit into more long term development.

Build your character, don't just show up & trench.
Get some roleplay going between a few and others may laugh...
but still others will listen and want to play along.

Hold your courts for the purpose of "theater" not "function".
Lead your small isolated group into your own "traditions".
Ceremony, in this case, is essential for cohesion and building foundations.

The theme of any group, starts at the center or at the top...
you can make the difference.

Delphos 8)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:45 am 

Thank you for your input Sir Delphos, and I do agree that it is sad that a LARP game has to try to add role-play back into the mix. I also do not think it should be forced onto those who are not interested. I would just like to see more of it at park and events. Tell you what next event we are both at. I won't get out of persona till the event is over if you won't.

Kracker Baron

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:17 am 

Sir Delphos";p="221 wrote:
Growth is not worth the price of loosing the depth of the "play". I would rather have 100 players "really" into character than 1000 people just hitting each other with foam swords.

That's because RP is what 'does it' for you. I would rather have 1000 people playing and however many of them RPing as want to and however many of them just swinging a stick as want to. Amtgard has room for both.

The RP in this kingdom hasn't existed in the way you describe in the nine years I've been playing. It hasn't existed that way in any of the kingdoms I've traveled to, which is most of them. That doesn't mean it isn't something worth shooting for, but it does mean that it won't be a return to the 'recent past' or the 'true Amtgard' that myself or any of my longer-lived friends are familiar with. It would be something new and different. And if that works for you, great.

The reason we don't have a lot RP in Amtgard is because most people don't want to RP. It's just democracy at work. It isn't like I (or anybody else) passed rules saying 'You Cannot Role-Play Anymore!' So saying that it's somehow related to the rise of the Stick Jock is fallacious. The Stick Jocks stay on the ditch or battlefield hitting each other; They have neither the time nor inclination to interfere with anybody elses fun. What does often happen, though, is people will gradually move away from the 'flurbier' side of Amtgard as they improve at fighting. They will want to fight more in order to improve their skills, and that is what ditching offers. Specifically, that is what ditching at events offers. And events are normally where you would get the most RP.

What you get is an interesting situation: You have people wandering around the site interacting with each other in character, and their character is invariably a bad-ass somehow. Either a great fighter, wizard, wombat, or what have you. Then when they take the field with the Stick Jocks, they get the snot beat out of them because those guys spend all of their time practicing those skills and really ARE bad-asses (in general). So it makes it really hard for people to suspend the disbelief and get in to character of the mighty were-draco-lich-flail-master when three of you jump a Stick Jock during a quest or battle game and get trounced. Some of those people that get trounced think to themselves: "I bet I can turn the tables on those guys if *I* trenched some!" And a new Stick Jock is born. Turns out fighting is like crack; Highly addictive.

It's just a natural progression sort of thing. So good luck with that. But keep in mind you're going to be a lot more succesful if you RP somebody who ISN'T a master-of-all-he-surveys. Even a fantasy world needs plebians and commoners.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:38 am 

Brennon EH";p="223 wrote:
But keep in mind you're going to be a lot more succesful if you RP somebody who ISN'T a master-of-all-he-surveys. Even a fantasy world needs plebians and commoners.

SSC: I don't actually suck at ditching. I'm role-playing someone who sucks at ditching!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:45 am 

Ouch! What Bennon says is true! Its hard for some one to role play they are Master Swordsmen John if they get walked over by someone who really is a bad mofo with a stick. This inevitably leads to them trenching more in order to improve. I'm not saying that they can't do both, but in most cases fighting becomes a driving force not so much role playing. The role playing is still in effect some what, in that we do have sword knights, war loards, and masterhoods for warriors.
Spell balls and the such are not allowed on trench field for obvious reasons ITS A DITCH FIELD! But fighting is also role play. Hitting some one with a role of fun noodle just doesn't sound cool; however, slashing into your opponents chest with a forged long sword does! Granted, not every one thinks along those lines. To some, as stated earlier, its just a game in which i have to hit the round peice of foam with a fun noodle stick. But, to others its capturing a city with a only the might of your sword! There is still some role playing even in the stick jock aspect of the game.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:54 am 

Truth requires facts and I saw only opinions for the most part and specifically relating to the subject.

Quod Erat Demonstratum

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:08 pm 

excuse me, you are correct bro. In my opionion I agree with brennon because of my previous stated points. Now Blah, Blah, Blah I'm politically correct :!:

P.S. autem illa verbia, quea veritam sint, non semper favorabilem opinionem sunt. 8)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:03 pm 

Non nobis soli nati sumnus. :D

Doesn't necessarily have bearing on the conversation, but it's the only piece of Latin I have memorized. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:50 pm 

Ummmm.... E Plurabus Unim? :)

"Until we stop viewing making a knight into a non-knight a fate worse than death we'll never be able to clean up knighthood." - Glen

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:13 pm 

Not unto us, sole/solo...bah, it's been too long.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:56 pm 

Brennon EH";p="223 wrote:
Sir Delphos";p="221 wrote:
Growth is not worth the price of loosing the depth of the "play". I would rather have 100 players "really" into character than 1000 people just hitting each other with foam swords.

That's because RP is what 'does it' for you. I would rather have 1000 people playing and however many of them RPing as want to and however many of them just swinging a stick as want to. Amtgard has room for both.

The RP in this kingdom hasn't existed in the way you describe in the nine years I've been playing. It hasn't existed that way in any of the kingdoms I've traveled to, which is most of them. That doesn't mean it isn't something worth shooting for, but it does mean that it won't be a return to the 'recent past' or the 'true Amtgard' that myself or any of my longer-lived friends are familiar with. It would be something new and different. And if that works for you, great.

The reason we don't have a lot RP in Amtgard is because most people don't want to RP. It's just democracy at work. It isn't like I (or anybody else) passed rules saying 'You Cannot Role-Play Anymore!' So saying that it's somehow related to the rise of the Stick Jock is fallacious. The Stick Jocks stay on the ditch or battlefield hitting each other; They have neither the time nor inclination to interfere with anybody elses fun. What does often happen, though, is people will gradually move away from the 'flurbier' side of Amtgard as they improve at fighting. They will want to fight more in order to improve their skills, and that is what ditching offers. Specifically, that is what ditching at events offers. And events are normally where you would get the most RP.

What you get is an interesting situation: You have people wandering around the site interacting with each other in character, and their character is invariably a bad-ass somehow. Either a great fighter, wizard, wombat, or what have you. Then when they take the field with the Stick Jocks, they get the snot beat out of them because those guys spend all of their time practicing those skills and really ARE bad-asses (in general). So it makes it really hard for people to suspend the disbelief and get in to character of the mighty were-draco-lich-flail-master when three of you jump a Stick Jock during a quest or battle game and get trounced. Some of those people that get trounced think to themselves: "I bet I can turn the tables on those guys if *I* trenched some!" And a new Stick Jock is born. Turns out fighting is like crack; Highly addictive.

It's just a natural progression sort of thing. So good luck with that. But keep in mind you're going to be a lot more succesful if you RP somebody who ISN'T a master-of-all-he-surveys. Even a fantasy world needs plebians and commoners.

If i just wanted 1000 people hitting each other I would go to a boxing gym. RP is the name of the game. This is exactly the attitude that is keeping people from RP'ing. Let people know that they cannot claim to be a bad ass in persona that they have to build up to it. I have never participated in a RPG ever that you started out as a bad ass you usually earned it after investing something in it. But when you are the same person in the game as you are out of it that is not RP no matter how much time you spend on the ditch field. If fighting is all you want then that is fine but the titles you use for thos that RP, might actually be the reason some people do not do it. I for one could care less who calls me a flurb I sure as hell a just some wound up stick jock on the ditch field all day. Why go to events to ditch and only ditch. It is cheaper to just go to park and do it there. When we get new people we should encourage them to participate in both aspects of the game. Let them know that if they claim to be a master swordsman they should be able to back it up, but to say RP happens on the ditch field you are mistaken fighting practice happens on the ditch field. I play a healer when I am on the ditch field I am not a healer. I am practicing my fighting skills for those few rare times I play warrior.

Kracker Baron

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:23 pm 

The first time I went out to an Amtgard park, People were fighting, and role playing, Aron was sitting on a blanket surrounded by people listening to stories about... I think it was Goldilocks and the three were-bears.. Andralaine was runing about blessing people. The fighting was pitched between bridges. No one made fun of those that were roll playing . Even if you weren't a role player you respected those who were.

My first feast still remains in my memories as the most magical evening I had had to that point in my life... Darkness touched by flames, laughter and finery, intrigue and no few deaths, cloved oranges as the centerpiece on each table and a strange voice coming from the shadows, "May I offer you a cloved orange M'Lady?" What was a cloved orange? I believe Vamir was queen, and I think that was the feast Clover offered her a scarf, "For to twist around your neck.." That may not have been roll playing though..Now, when those of us who want to roll play do so, we fear or anticipate (I personally am a coward) mockery and abuse at the hands of people who don't. So many of us do fall out of the habit. No longer "M'lady" and "M'Lord" Goodsir and Goodwoman. It is not as socially acceptable in this, our Live Action ROLE PLAY game to roll play, and if you do, be damn sure you stick with someone elses plan or you will be double mocked. Brennon claims that he nor anyone else decreed that there should be no roleplaying, I say that when you or anyone else mocks those who would do it, well..actions often speak louder than decrees. It is a hard atmosphere to roleplay in, not just for people who want to roleplay dread knights and don't have the status, even for small cowards who want to roleplay country cousins come to town to visit. There MUST be a way to blend the two groups seamlessly as we once were. Strive for unity because without it, you are just a bunch of guys with foam padded sticks. You need us for glamour as much as we need you for action. And for those who play both worlds, I am sure they grow weary of the tear as well. It is the combination of these desires and needs that made us what we were, and can bring us back to what we should be again. A FUN group, where both sides left at the end of the day fullfilled, tired and happy. Sad to see it over for that week. Don't you miss that feeling?

Last edited by Tana on Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:52 pm 

Squire Steel";p="238 wrote:
excuse me, you are correct bro. In my opionion I agree with brennon because of my previous stated points. Now Blah, Blah, Blah I'm politically correct :!:

P.S. autem illa verbia, quea veritam sint, non semper favorabilem opinionem sunt. 8)

AD REM,
ABUSUS NON TOLLIT USUM

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard