Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Populace Opinion
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:45 pm 

Docsi wrote:
1. we'll be the only ones using the site for the weekend ? YES
2. we'll have access to the wooded camping area ? YES
3. we'll have access to the kitchens, bathrooms, cabins ? YES

That addresses my concerns. I say go for it.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:57 pm 

What's the EH cut of gate at a shared event compared to a TWF event?

Rayel

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:13 pm 

Docsi wrote:
the fire question will be determined at that time in order to consider burn bans etc.

Meaning there are usually fires allowed unless there is a burn ban?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:23 pm 

i vote yes, generally wetlands and EH work well together, so i don't see dividing responsibilities for gate/feast/battle games or court itself being a problem as long as the leaders of the two groups keep up communication and keep informing the populace on what's needed.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:32 pm 

If it's the difference between getting there at 1am or 1:30am, I don't really see the problem, especially if we get to have heated restrooms and the possibility of cabins. I'll check with mister smithers and see what he thinks.

Lettusio-Rex, Dreadmoor Fey Jackalope
Member of the House of H.O.P.S.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:04 pm 

yes, fires are usually allowed unless there is a ban

Squire to Sir Logan T. Black
Clan Chieftain of the Turtle Clan
Ship's Surgeon, HMS "Turtle's Revenge"
Gaslight Sky Pirate

"Dwarves and mountains have one thing in common: It takes an almighty hammer and a tremendous amount of persistence to overcome them."

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:41 am 

apparently site is not nailed down.

http://www.electricsamurai.com/forums/v ... 7&start=30

again, not a good idea. Let those who want to go to Olmpiad go, and those who want EH event stay home.

"Passion overrules Reason" wizard's rule #3 of the Terry Goodkind series "Sword of truth"

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:44 am 

My experience with two Olympiads is that it's a busy, all-consuming weekend. This proposal would mean virtually no Coronation activities during the day. Even if there were events scheduled, judges and competing EH-ers would not be able to do much during that weekend other than focus on Olympiad.

While it's possible to handle multikingdom court in an effective way, experience suggests that the tendency is for either the kingdoms to be scheduled over after another, making a hugely long and difficult court, or each kingdom holds their own mini-court, typically on a day and time when Amtgarders are not used to holding court.

All camping events, all the time, was not necessarily an Amtgard tradition until EH heavily pioneered the idea. Corsicana is already the southern edge for many kingdom residents. It is not very difficult for me to get on a highway and head south, but adding thirty minutes is significant. Adding a gallon, gallon and a half of gas each direction is significant. Figuring out how to handle meals is significant, especially for those with kids. I'm pretty sure that every mile you move the event is approximately one less EH attendee. The further you go from home, the more you have to plan for the contingency of poor weather.

Rules and security are also an issue. As soon as you combine a Kingdom's event with Olympiad, that kingdom has given up some measure of control. Add a second kingdom, and now both groups have given up some control. There is a reason multikingdom events are generally run by dedicated committees. This proposal would require appoining an ubercrat, plus some kind of multikingdom committee to settle on rules. There would no Zero Tolerance in effect.

There are definitely reasons why a combined event might be appealing, but I think, on the balance, it just takes away from Coronation. Multikingdom events are generally held separarely from coronation.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:16 pm 

For those that don't want to go to E-Sam:
Sebastian wrote:
Site I wanted is apparently screwing with me. I've called them several times for a final booking, they seem to be unsure due to ongoing and pending construction/improvements.

I'm working on it, bro. Sorry for the delay. As soon as I know, it will be posted. I'm definitely trying for Nov 30-Dec 2, though.

Gigantes wrote:
It will be in the beginning of Dec (either 1st or second weekend.)

Calendar from the Fort Parker website (www.oldfortparker.org):
November 22-25 Annual Thanksgiving Trail Ride
December 15-16 Annual Christmas at the Fort
Festival & Rendezvous
& Flying Field Surprise
December 15-16 Fort Parker Patriots Monthly Shoot

Rayel

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:47 pm 

Darkangel wrote:
My experience with two Olympiads is that it's a busy, all-consuming weekend. This proposal would mean virtually no Coronation activities during the day. Even if there were events scheduled, judges and competing EH-ers would not be able to do much during that weekend other than focus on Olympiad.

I think this is only true for those who are entering Olympiad. I have been to multiple Olympiads that had lots of activities for those not entering. I thin kthat as a combined event we could have battlegames / quests availible for those who are not part of Olympiad.

As for the rest of your post, I agree that some people will not want to drive the extra 30 min. But it being Olympiad you will have a larger event / more opportunities to do things. When Piratical Sabbatical 2 was at Giddings in August, it was miserably hot and a horrid event overall, but becasue it was Olympiad the number of people was over all the other PS events combined.

So people have to decide between some EH members opting out due to the extra drive, and combining into a larger event with the potenttial for a larger turnout and multiple activities.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:41 pm 

according to Gigantes the site is a go. I am working hard to get all your questions and concerns addressed for this.

Squire to Sir Logan T. Black
Clan Chieftain of the Turtle Clan
Ship's Surgeon, HMS "Turtle's Revenge"
Gaslight Sky Pirate

"Dwarves and mountains have one thing in common: It takes an almighty hammer and a tremendous amount of persistence to overcome them."

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:48 pm 

Last I remember of Fort Parker...

They like the public,
Frown on liquor,
Don't like noisy stuff after dark
Are particular about their site and are paranoid about its destruction because it is a National & State Historic Site.

Good people running it tho. Have always been welcomed with open arms.

P.S. ~ Don't piss off a lady that has a knife and rifle target in her backyard.

Rendezvous'rs are just kids with really BIG playgrounds....and black powder toys that go BOOM!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:55 pm 

Alright guys I am the one now in charge of Olympiad 2012. It will be at Old Ft. Parker on the first weekend in Dec. I would like you guys to join us for a dual coro. Now lets answer some questions.

Feast: I have my guys (Rogers Raiders) covering feast, they are some awesome cooks and very capable. If you want to help that is great.

Financials: If you want to pitch you will be repayed and get and equal share of the profits. For example if you went in 30% you would be entitled to 30% of the profits.

Gate favors: We are getting blue bottle openers with the words "Olympiad 2012" if you want to do your own favor that is up to yall.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:08 pm 

A big event with no booze and no noise after dark? ......

Boo

Dame Nightengael Bahuas
Nightmare of Artus Pass
Dragonmaster X XX XXX
Sable Pride Stormtrooper 66

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:40 pm 

Well, the details about the event have been finalized:
(cross posted from http://www.electricsamurai.com/forums/v ... =7&t=26921 )

Olympiad 2012!!!!!

When: Nov. 30-Dec. 2
Where: Old Fort Parker ( 866 Park Road 35 Groesbeck, Tx 76642)
Gate $25/person, $10/twelve and under, Free/six and under

War:
• To be eligible for title of War Olympian, entrant must enter all categories. The War Olympian will be the fighter that accrues the highest amount of points among those who enter all categories
• Entrants will be given an opportunity to “opt out” of any category at sign-up. Signing up constitutes entry into all categories unless the entrant opts out of any category. This will be clear on the sign-in sheet.
• Weapon combinations are NOT limited to short swords. Many Kingdoms use long swords regularly, and the tournament needs to reflect this.

Categories:
• Single Sword
• Sword and up to Medium Shield
• Florentine Swords
• “Open” Weapon (any combination of melee weapons and shields, legal to wield together)

Format:
• Overall tourney will be Double-Elimination
• 4 pools will be fought at once in separate rings. Fighters called to their pool will go there and stay there until the first three rounds of that pool have been completed. Depending on how many total fighters are in attendance there may be a second heat of 4 more pools.
• After the pooled section of the tourney all fighters who have survived to the fourth round will be fought in the four rings as expedited by the tourney organizers.
• 2 reeves will be used in each ring
• Winner of individual matches will be determined by “Best of 3” method.
• The top eight fighters will be seeded. Warlords and Knights of the Sword will be seeded first using the judgment of the tourney organizer and the reeves. The best non-Warlord, non-KSw fighters will be seeded next until eight have been seeded. The opinion of the tourney staff here will not be over-ruled.

Scoring
o 1st Place = 3pts
o 2nd Place = 2pts
o 3rd Place = 1pts
• All points earned will be cumulative.

Tie Breakers
• For ties, square the points for each category, and sum them together. The person with the highest total is the winner.
• For subsequent ties, an instant run-off determines the winner. That is, the competitors fight open-weapon, best 3 of 5.

War Olympian:

• Combatant with highest number of points at the end of the Tournament shall be declared the winner.
• If the combatant with the highest number of points has participated in all categories, then that combatant shall be declared War Olympian 2012.
• If the combatant with the highest number of points has NOT participated in all categories, then the next highest placing combatant who has participated in all categories shall be declared War Olympian 2012.

Entry:

• Any person wishing to enter the Warskill Tournament must sign up for each category they desire to participate in by 12noon on Saturday. Entrants must be present when their name is called or he/she will forfeit the match. Players wishing to withdraw from later events should tell the tourney organizers.
• Any combatant who must leave the tournament area for good cause (bathroom, emergency at camp, etc.) must inform the organizer beforehand.
• Once assigned to your pool you will not leave the immediate area of that pool’s ring until you are eliminated or the pool is completed. This is vital to ensure that the pools can be completed quickly. Resolving a pool takes around 15 minutes.
• There will be a short break between categories for participants to retrieve weapons, water, whatever.
• Your excuses of “I forgot my water” or “I’m hungry” will not be accepted. This tournament will take up to 5 hours. Come prepared."

Culturals:

Culturals Tournament:

Cultural Olympian Requirements:
• Total Entries to be Eligible for Cultural Olympian: 7
o Maximum entries per Major Category: 2
o Maximum entries per Sub-Category: 1

Categories:

• Dragon
o Bardic: Singing, Oratory Poetry, Narratives, Comedic Performance
o 3D Art: Sculpting, Pottery, Beading, etc.
o 2D Art: Banners, Painting
o Miscellaneous: Performance Arts, Theatrical, anything that doesn’t fit into any other sub-category
o NO FOOD ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED: This is due to a lack of proper facilities at the site to keep food fresh. There is no kitchen.
Brewing, however, is acceptable. Any beverage entered must be accompanied by an ingredients list.

• Owl
o Engineering: Siege Weapons, Building Mock-ups, furniture, etc.
o Weapons; Field Legal: Any weapon legal for Amtgard field use (tourney swords, plasti-dip shields, pole-arms, etc.)
o Weapons; Court: Any weapon not legal for Amtgard field use (Live steel, plasti-dip weapons unsafe for field use, etc.)
o Armor; court: Armor meant only for court use (ex: spiked armor)
o Armor; field-use: Armor that can be safely utilized on an Amtgard field (bracers, suit of plate armor, greaves)

• Garber
o Court: Finer garb meant only for court use
o Battlefield: Garb meant for fighting
o Accessories: Belt favor, belt (leather or other), cloth bracer, pouches, sashes, spell ball bags
o Miscellaneous: Hats, circlets, etc.

• Smith
o Monster Write-Ups
o Battle Game write ups
o Traditional Publication: Newsletter, manual, “how-to”, pamphlet, fliers, etc.
o Web-Publishing: Website Layout, Search Engine, html coding manual, etc.
o Event Hosting: Event Bids, Relic Quest Syllabus, etc.

• Judging will be base on judging system designed by Sir Thalen Tannon of the Wetlands. An overview of this system can be found at: http://www.amtgard-wl.com/library/How%2 ... t-7-21.pdf
o First-Time entries will not be given accommodation. This is Olympiad, if you don’t know how to bead a necklace, don’t expect to enter a beaded necklace that is obviously a first attempt and expect to be given leniency. Bring your “A-Game”.
• All judges will be Masters in a field of A&S.
• Eligible Entrant with highest cumulative score of all their entries shall be declared Cultural Olympian for 2012.

Entering the Culturals Tournament

o Any player wishing to enter the Culturals Tournament on-site must sign in their entries at the Olympiad Pavilion no later than 11am on Saturday. No exceptions. No excuses.
o Written Entries: must be e-mailed in .PDF format to Sebastian at ( Sebastianofcm(at)gmail(dot)com ) no later than Saturday, November 17th, at 11:59pm. They will then be distributed to the judges for their perusal. A hard copy representation must be present at the Culturals Tournament, as well. This is to eliminate any formatting errors that may occur during transfer.

o All entries must include write-ups with pertinent information about the piece.
Item Name
Description
 Materials Used
Time taken

o All entrants will be given:
Index Card to place on item with corresponding number and category
Entry form to fill out and return to the Culturals Organizer
Receipt for items entered .
• Must present receipt for retrieval of item. (security measure)

o You may not enter any item previously entered in another Olympiad Tournament.
o You may enter an item previously submitted at the local or kingdom level.
o DO NOT enter weapons that you will need to use during the Warskills Tourney, if you come to retrieve them for such, they will be disqualified.
o At the conclusion of judging, an announcement will be made for all entrants present on site to retrieve their items. Receipts for items must be presented to the Culturals Organizer for retrieval of the items.
o Final tallies of scores will be conducted and the top 3 eligible entrants’ names will be announced at Court that evening.
Title of Cultural Olympian will also be bestowed at Court.

Determining A&S Olympian & Warksill Olympian:
1. Person with the highest point total.
2. For ties, square the points for each category, and sum them together. The person with the highest total is the winner.
3. For subsequent ties, an instant run-off determines the winner: for A&S, the two entries are compared by the all the judges in an elimination-style competition; for Warskill, the competitors fight open-weapon, best 3 of 5.

For determining Grand Olympian:
1. Must have points in both A&S and Warskill
2. Person with the highest point total wins.
3. For ties, square the points for each category, and sum them together. The person with the highest total is the winner.
3. For subsequent ties, a coin is flipped. For heads, the tie-breaker for A&S is used (as above). For tails, the tie-breaker for Warskill is used (as above).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard