Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences » Tournament Results Archive

Post subject: Dragonmaster XXX
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:31 pm 

I have a couple questions for the Regent.

1. Since this was never answered in a private message I will now ask in a public forum so that a. I can actually get an answer and b. you can garner some feedback from individuals other than myself. Why are desserts/sweets not given a separate cooking category? It seems odd to be judging and comparing potatoes, dips, and bread to cakes, cookies, and candy. There has been a separate category for dessert/sweets in almost every EH cultural competition that I have witnessed.

2. Will there be runners/pages already appointed for this event? I'm thinking it would be the best avenue for hot cooking entries so they do not sit between the time the entrants are registering/setting up entries to the time the judges arrive. (I'm making an assumption here that entrants and judges will not be in the judging vicinity simultaneously at any point. I hope that is accurate) . If there are not appointed runners/pages could one use their own to convey hot cooking entries from the place wherever they are cooking/warming whatnot to the appointed judging spot so that hot dishes may maintain their vitality while adhering to standards of anonymity.

Thank you for your patience and assistance with what I'm sure will be an ongoing process of Q & A on this epic adventure.

Dame Nightengael Bahuas
Nightmare of Artus Pass
Dragonmaster X XX XXX
Sable Pride Stormtrooper 66

Post subject: Re: Dragonmaster XXX
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:45 pm 

I apologize for not answering your PM. I have been dealing with mundane issues and have not been able to do more than check the boards recently.

1. The categories have been selected and will not be changed. Cooking is cooking. The cooking (general) category will cover anything other than main course dishes. With the quality of judges we have on line for this event, there will be no problems with how this particular category is judged.

2. Yes, there will be runner/pages available and your assumption is correct. Contestants will not be allowed anywhere near the judging area. It is my plan that when items are signed in a page will deliver them to the judges.

Squire to Sir Logan T. Black
Clan Chieftain of the Turtle Clan
Ship's Surgeon, HMS "Turtle's Revenge"
Gaslight Sky Pirate

"Dwarves and mountains have one thing in common: It takes an almighty hammer and a tremendous amount of persistence to overcome them."

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:03 pm 

From my own point of view and taste, home made Peanut Butter cookies will always score higher on my judges sheet than lets say... anything else.

Well maybe a close second would be some of that "Twisted Sisters" wine I drank a lot of this last weekend while in Broken Bow, Ok.

[smilie=icon_twisted.gif] [smilie=icon_cool.gif] [smilie=icon_twisted.gif]

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:46 pm 

Now I'll have to try to remember what I wrote...thanks alot Forest!!!. J/K, crap happens.

Ok, the plan is this:

Sign-in will begin at 10am and close at 1pm. Pages will deliver the items to the judges from the sign-in table. Judging will begin with the first items presented and will continue as items are signed in. Food items will be immediately judged as they are presented to insure they are served in the manner intended.

We have three committed judges at this point. One from Dreadmoor, one from EH proper, and one coming all the way down from Iron Mountains. I am also speaking with folks from both Wetlands and CK and also have a few more volunteers from EH. We will have high quality judges for this event.

Written entries MUST be emailed to me either pm'd on the boards or to my personal email (brower@nsuok.edu) no later than February 27. From me they will be forwarded to the judges to study at their leisure. It has been my experience that written entries tend to be skimmed over when a large quantity of items need to be judged. This will ensure that doesn't happen. Performance pieces may also be filmed and sent to me if the performer is not able to attend the event itself. I will also be available at Weaponmaster (both north and south) to film performances if you wish to take advantage of this. Performances filmed by me will also be emailed to the judges.

NO written entries will be accepted at the event itself. This is to ensure that the judges have plenty of time to give your items the attention they deserve.

I will be needing pages/runners so if you wish to volunteer or lend me your pages, that would be great. I will try to answer any other questions presented as long as Forest doesn't delete them...hehe.

Gaslight Sky Pirate

"Dwarves and mountains have one thing in common: It takes an almighty hammer and a tremendous amount of persistence to overcome them."

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:58 pm 

To be safe i will reply without attempting to quote. :)

I just wanted to say that I feel it is detrimental to the entrants to lump all cooking (other than main dish) into 1 category. That is like saying all garb that is not court garb is the same, or all construction that is not armor is the same. Not only does it put widely different items into the same category for judging, but it limits subcategories for people who specialize in cooking and reduces their vhances to win.

I really hope you are willing to reconsider this choice since these categories have been a standard for years.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:54 pm 

Forest wrote:"it is detrimental to the entrants to lump all cooking (other than main dish) into 1 category."
----------------------------------------------------------
As much as I hate to admit it.... But Forest is more correct than he is wrong when it comes to this particular point.

[smilie=icon_twisted.gif] [smilie=icon_cool.gif] [smilie=icon_twisted.gif]

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:31 pm 

By the by....... Nice score on getting the Iron Mountains judge.

*applauds*

Dame Nightengael Bahuas
Nightmare of Artus Pass
Dragonmaster X XX XXX
Sable Pride Stormtrooper 66

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:03 pm 

ok, if there is a general consensus that desserts should have its own category I will consider it. I will get the opinions of my judges and if contestants have an opinion please post it. But be advised, this is the ONLY change I am willing to concede to. My fear is that if I allow one change to the scheduled categories others will follow. So I will consider adding this ONE category only. I did alot of research on DM events from around the game and chose these categories because I feel they are the most fair for this special DM event. XXX only happens once and I want it to be special for all the contestants but it must be fair for all the contestants too.

Gaslight Sky Pirate

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:31 pm 

Ok, after talking with the judges I have online so far I have decided to change the cooking category to this:

Cooking (main dish)
Cooking (desserts/sweets)
Cooking (general- this will be anything not covered by the previous two)
Brewing/Vinting

Gaslight Sky Pirate

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:22 am 

Docsi wrote:
Cooking (desserts/sweets)
Cooking (general- this will be anything not covered by the previous two)

Wow... Two catergories that could have me stuffing my face with Peanut Butter cookies.

Life is good.

[smilie=icon_evil.gif] [smilie=icon_cool.gif] [smilie=icon_twisted.gif]

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:12 pm 

I'll have to bring you a dozen peanut butter cookies just to keep you on task...hehe

Gaslight Sky Pirate

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:53 pm 

Just a reminder...Written entries are due to me NO LATER THAN March 1. No written entries will be accepted after this date.

Oh, I finished the trophy...here's a picture.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gaslight Sky Pirate

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:56 am 

DM isn't listed on the calendar. What's the scoop on DM?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:41 pm 

DM will be held in conjunction with EH Midreign

Gaslight Sky Pirate

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:55 am 

What's the registration procedure?

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences » Tournament Results Archive