Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:17 am 

Zelly, I see one problem with the minimum entry number. I can see a minimum entry number to win the title, but not to enter the event itself. Some folks work 4-6 months on only 1 or 2 items. It is unfair to not allow them the chance at high level orders. I think we should change that part to 5 minimum to win, but not to enter.

Squire to Sir Logan T. Black
Clan Chieftain of the Turtle Clan
Ship's Surgeon, HMS "Turtle's Revenge"
Gaslight Sky Pirate

"Dwarves and mountains have one thing in common: It takes an almighty hammer and a tremendous amount of persistence to overcome them."

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:24 am 

Which of these two statements is correct?

Please bring enough written entries for each judge to have a personal copy to save on time and reduce having to pass around a single document.

P.S. Written Entries Must Be Sent to SearchingForClaudia@Yahoo.Com 3 Days Before Dragonmaster!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:49 pm 

Written Entries Must Be Sent to SearchingForClaudia@Yahoo.Com 3 Days Before Dragonmaster! If this is impossible for you, please bring 7 written entries for each judge to have a personal copy of so that they can take them home and read them at their leisure.

Both are true. It's usually a good idea to read the whole thread before asking questions, as it was already answered in her last post.

"Until we stop viewing making a knight into a non-knight a fate worse than death we'll never be able to clean up knighthood." - Glen

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:19 pm 

I have to agree.

When it comes to judging written entries, as far back as the day before the days, having a copy for each judge always helps. And with the added ability of being able to attach files and stuff to emails and having them sent out early to the judges to read in the comfort of their own home can really only improve the writers possible scores cuz the judges may not feel as pressured to get everything done in a certain amount of time.

Bottom line... Cater to the judges and reap the fruits of your labors.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:22 pm 

Docsi wrote:
Zelly, I see one problem with the minimum entry number. I can see a minimum entry number to win the title, but not to enter the event itself. Some folks work 4-6 months on only 1 or 2 items. It is unfair to not allow them the chance at high level orders. I think we should change that part to 5 minimum to win, but not to enter.

I see your point there. Now, the issues is just letting everyone know! And, I don't think just changing the packets will do the job. I'll try to let all of the Texas parks know. Mind covering our northern branch for me? It's awful late and I don't want anyone to think they can't enter!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:31 pm 

can do.

Squire to Sir Logan T. Black
Clan Chieftain of the Turtle Clan
Ship's Surgeon, HMS "Turtle's Revenge"
Gaslight Sky Pirate

"Dwarves and mountains have one thing in common: It takes an almighty hammer and a tremendous amount of persistence to overcome them."

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:39 pm 

Thank you so much, KDocsi!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:05 pm 

Docsi wrote:

I have to disagree.

Crown Quals is a fine opportunity to enter just a few items for review. But if the regent wants to enforce a minimum item limit for a higher level competition, especially with as many people as have shown interest in entering Dragonmaster, there is no reason not to.

We see these limits at Olympiad as well. It's an effective way to cap the grand total number of items entered so that the contest doesn't have to take as long to judge, score, and compute final scores. It also effectively limits participation to those who are interested not only in throwing some items out for consideration but in making a solid showing and even winning the competition. Having item limitations moves the focus of the competition to artisans who can create many high quality pieces for this deadline.

I don't personally have a preference either way, except to recommend holding to one's decisions for the standards of an A&S tourney. This flip-flopping now effectively prohibits any entrants who may have been working on a piece, learned of the DM item limit, and cannot now change course to finish in time for the new ruling.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:10 pm 

Thank you for your suggestion!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:51 pm 

For the PDF packets, which print out much better than the PNG's go to this link because I can't upload PNG's here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/kingspointeh/

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:40 pm 

Draeven wrote:
Written Entries Must Be Sent to SearchingForClaudia@Yahoo.Com 3 Days Before Dragonmaster! If this is impossible for you, please bring 7 written entries for each judge to have a personal copy of so that they can take them home and read them at their leisure.

Both are true. It's usually a good idea to read the whole thread before asking questions, as it was already answered in her last post.

It is a good idea to read the whole thread before asking questions, if you have unlimited free time and also believe that the Regent would not bother to update the first page with this important information. Thank you nonetheless for answering the question.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:27 pm 

Darkangel wrote:
It is a good idea to read the whole thread before asking questions, if you have unlimited free time and also believe that the Regent would not bother to update the first page with this important information. Thank you nonetheless for answering the question.

I do take the blame for that. Even now, I'm continuing to update things! Hopefully this will be the last revision. But, that's one of the reasons I've been spamming FB and the Forums with Dragon Master information. So, that I know no one will have an out of date version of anything. I want to make this as a good of an experience as I possibly can, instead of frustrating.

However, I generally think what you read now is a definite improvement from draft one. Then again, I might be biased.

[smilie=icon_redface.gif]

I AM genuinely sorry for any confusion or wasted time this might have caused anyone! Permission to flog the Satyr at Midreign is officially given!

[smilie=icon_twisted.gif]

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:46 pm 

Oh, let's not talk about blame. You are good-natured and dedicated. I am well aware you have a lot on your plate. I was only asking a question.

... I reserve the right to continue the discussion of flogging at a later time. ;)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:32 pm 

Aylin, while i agree that it should be your best work, put your best foot forward, not everyone can do things across the categories that they would be proud to enter into competition. However, they may still want to try for the awards that would lead them to a serpent belt. ex. if someone excels at performance, but can't sew or craft well, they can still get their belt some day and are more likely to get better feedback, and possibly more likely to be awarded by entering into dragon master. The same can be said for a lot of specialties (sewing, leather working, clay work, ect). I like that the standard that has been started that to win the title you must enter a minimum across the categories and still keeping the max on the entries per sub-category because that means who wins is going to be a master of the arts, but i don't want someone who excels at their craft to not enter because they can't do other things of high quality, or make them come up with utter crap just to enter their really good stuff (because the second is the more likely outcome). There have been a few dragon masters that have come and gone with very few if any entries because people don't feel their work is good enough, which is where i was for the longest time. Unfortunately in our game we kind of shove the A&S off in a corner and it's the only place to hopefully get honest feed back (unless you happen to have people around you that know how to do your craft and are willing/able to help). If you don't do a craft that can be wielded in battle or worn we may never see it, and if you don't perform at bardic we may never know that you're amazing at performance. I'm not really sure how to change it, but i find it a sad reality. Had i trusted that my items were good enough and the judges had commented back on my entries i could have gotten better faster (i still have a lot of room to grow and still want constructive criticism from everyone that is willing to give it to me) to be honest, i probably still wouldn't have ever entered any except one of the regents made me promise to enter one and now i spend 4 or 5 months pestering other people into entering and end up keeping myself excited and focused enough to get things done.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:52 am 

Darkangel wrote:
I reserve the right to continue the discussion of flogging at a later time. ;)

LOL, discussion is on the table!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences