Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post subject: Re: throwies
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:17 am 

Thorgar wrote:
odd thought, since all foam shields are in now, if you have only cloth strapping, can an assassin or barbarian (of the right level) throw their shield as a throwing weapon?

I was under the impression that so long as it doesn't have a core and meets all of the other requirements listed above, it could be a throwie. I had throwie mugs for a while all made out of foam and hand covered with gray cloth. They were fun to look at but I don't recall hitting a darn thing with them. I'm blaming the shape, but secretly suspect my aim.

Still, I was also under the impression that shields needed cores. So, I'm surprised no one has said no to this question. Perhaps I've misunderstood something? Do they no longer need a core?

Please let me know because I get a lot of random questions like this at park from noobs and I don't want to be giving out bad advice. For some strange reason, they have the impression I know what I'm doing? Funny, huh?

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:46 am 

Zelodie-Local-Satyr wrote:
Still, I was also under the impression that shields needed cores. So, I'm surprised no one has said no to this question. Perhaps I've misunderstood something? Do they no longer need a core?

Shields have never required a core in the time I've been in the game. Back in the day they were usually metal snow disks or trashcan lids, because that's what we had available. Now we have access to the stiffer foams we use now days you don't see nearly as many "Core based" shields, such as the metal/plastic snow disks, trashcan lids, etc.

"Until we stop viewing making a knight into a non-knight a fate worse than death we'll never be able to clean up knighthood." - Glen

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:07 pm 

Hahahahahaha! Thank you, Draven. Is my newness showing? Looks like someones going to have to reread the books and pay closer attention (that'd be me)! I appreciate you for answering me seriously and un-sarcastically or in malice and making me feel even more foolish than necessary. So, thank you, again.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:30 am 

Page 8 #8 under shields: "A shield may not be tossed into another player or their wielded
equipment."

Thought of doing this a long time back and was shot down immediately.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:07 pm 

Once dreamed up a throwie shooting crossbow. In warfare the historical prescident is kinda shaky. It was called a stone bow. Mostly used in hunting game birds, but there had been use of a similar devise in fantasy. Dwarven ranged weapon of war. Good enough. Advantage being how well a ball would fall down a tube/magazine to be launched. Easier to avoid Murpheys law in an auto reload feature. Never made it, but it has been on my mind of late.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences