Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Announcements » Archives

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:35 am 

In an effort to save the State of Oklahoma $700,000, the Dept of Tourism wants to close 7 state parks. One of which is the fabulous park that we held our first ever NPB in last year. Just ask anyone who went how great this place was!
I have been in touch with Mr Paul D Roan who is the House Representative for this area.

Mr Paul Roan e-mailed me back and said that Deby Snodgrass, the Executive Director of the Oklahoma Tourism and Recreational Department, came to Tushka after the tornado tore through there and said that Boggy Depot would remain open until right after Labor Day. This leaves us out. He also said that the Choctaw Tribe is looking at possibly taking the park over, BUT nothing is confirmed.

What Deby Snodgrass has done is to add insult to injury by closing a park that also provides income to the hard hit residents of Tushka, OK. (IMHO) Campers at the park shop in Tushka/Atoka.
GT and I have been through there, so has Alby. All of us can attest to the fact that this community of approx 400 ppl, was almost wiped off the map. I have never seen anything like this in my life.
Also this is the 150th anniversary of the Civil War. A battle did take place around Boggy Depot. The graves of the soldiers are in the park. So is the grave of the Choctaw Chief who coined the name Oklahoma. The Butterfield Overland Stage Coach stopped at the small town that was where the park is now.
IF we want to use this park we need to take action now. Please be polite if you call, write or e-mail either Deby Snodgrass or Paul D. Roan.
I will also post up an open letter (e-mail) that anyone can copy and send to either of the contacts in this post. The more we throw our support behind Mr Roan's fight to keep Boggy Depot State Park the better our chances are of being able to use this place for years to come.
Deby Snodgrass can be reached at: 405-230-8301
Her mailing address is:
Deby Snodgrass
Oklahoma Tourism and Department of Recreation
120 N Robinson, 6th Floor
OKC, OK

I read in some on line articles that she does not reply, if so, we can throw our support behind Mr Roan's efforts to keep Boggy Depot open. He can be reached at 405-557-7308. His e-mail is:
paulroan@okhouse.gov

TH

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:14 pm 

If you enjoyed the NPB last year, then please send your support. It is a great site and I for one, would hate to lose it!

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:58 pm 

Update: Today there was a rally at the OK Capitol to keep seven state parks from closing. One of these is of course, Boggy Depot State Park. Site of NPB. I have since e-mailed OK House Rep. Seneca Scott of Tulsa, who is involved in the fight to keep the parks open. He asks that we send an e-mail to Governor Mary Fallin to ask for the continuation of state funding for the parks. He wants us to flood her office with themn actually;) I have posted her e-mail and contact info at the bottom of this post. Please, even if you don't write your own (polite) e-mail to her, would you at least send her this one ? Doesn't matter if you attended NPB or even plan on going this year. Just help us keep this park open!! Thanks all.
OH! Please put : Keep Boggy Depot State Park Open ..as your subject line.

Dear Governor Fallin,

Please keep funding the seven state parks that are slated to close in Oklahoma. Especially Boggy Depot State Park in Atoka/Tushka, OK. It's historical significance is important to all citizens of Oklahoma. It is also important to the citizens of Tushka as they work to rebuild their community after the devastating tornado of April 14th of this year.
Thank-you.

(put your name here) ]

Governor Mary Fallin
E-mail: info@gov.ok.gov

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:46 am 

I sent my email.

Better late than never.

[smilie=icon_cool.gif]

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:50 pm 

Thanks Sir Nevron. I've been following this closely and been in contact with a few OK State Reps for months. Even to the point of looking at a few other State park locations in that area. Four of the seven State Parks slated to close had been sponsored as of 2 weeks ago, but not Boggy Depot. Today I found this article on line :

The Norman Transcript
August 12, 2011
Chickasaws to assume operation of Boggy Depot State Park

Transcript Staff
The Norman Transcript

NORMAN — Chickasaw Nation Governor Bill Anoatubby and Oklahoma Tourism and Recreation Department Executive Director Deby Snodgrass signed an agreement Thursday for the Chickasaw Nation to assume management and operations of Boggy Depot State Park beginning Aug. 16.

Boggy Depot was one of seven Oklahoma state parks slated to close Aug. 15 because of state budget cuts. Thanks to this pact, park operations will continue while the state legislature works out details for long term management of the park.

“We are very pleased to have the opportunity to operate this facility, because Boggy Depot has great historical significance to the Chickasaw and Choctaw nations,” Anoatubby said. “This agreement is one example of our ongoing partnership with the state of Oklahoma to promote tourism and encourage more people to discover the beauty, history and hospitality Oklahoma has to offer.”

Snodgrass expressed her appreciation to the Chickasaw Nation.

“I just want to express my gratitude to the Chickasaw Nation for stepping forward to assume operations of Boggy Depot State Park,” she said. “The park is so rich in history on so many different fronts. It is just an amazing part of Oklahoma history. So we are grateful to the nation for preserving that history and for making it possible for the public to continue to have access to recreational opportunities there.”

I will have to phone down and see if the camping costs per night are the same or if they are going to change. Thank goodness it stayed open as it was going to close forever on the 15th of Aug.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:38 am 

Woot!! NPB will be back at the bog. (Assuming pricing is not radically changed) Can't wait!

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Announcements » Archives