Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard

Post subject: DragonMaster
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:37 pm 

Dragonmaster Announcement:
(plagiarized shamelessly from the previous Regent)

August 27 Midnight Rain
August 28 Eagleshire

Categories & Subcategories:

Jewelry- Wire, Beading, Metal, Textile, Other
Active Construction- Weapon, Shield, Armor, Siege, Open
Passive Construction- Metal, Wood, Ceramics, Leather/Horn, Other
Bardic- Singing, Oratory, Instrumental, Physical, Other
Written- Factual, Informational, Poetry, Fictional, Other
Garb- Court, Fighting, Accessory, Monster Garb, Other
2D Art- Painting, Drawing, Photography (untouched), Digital Imaging/Photo Manipulations, 2D Art on a 3D Medium, Other
3D Art- Subtractive Sculpture, Additive Sculpture, Low Relief, Display, Painted 3d, Other
Food- Main Dish, Beverage, Dessert, Side Dish/Appetizer, Other
Textile- Embroidery/Cross Stitch, Appliqué/Felting, Crochet/Knitting, Weaving/Braiding, Quilting, Banners, Tents, Other
Open- Open, Rose, New Media, Heraldic, Multidisciplinary Art

There will be no booze entries due to the silly government and their silly laws.

Unless Kingdom level awards were received, items entered into Crown Quals may be entered into Dragonmaster.

Contestants may enter as many items as they wish in any category/event with the understanding that only the top three entries in any one category/event will count towards the calculation determining our next Dragonmaster.

Entries will be taken from 11am until 1pm. This is due to there only being one day in each region of the Kingdom. With the potential number of entries to be judged and the required travel time between the two days, an earlier start is warranted.

If there are any questions or perceived needs for clarification, please post here, as this is where any updates will also be posted.

The cut off time for getting in line, if there is one, to register is one o'clock pm, if there is no line, this is when registration ends and judging begins. Period. No exceptions, no exemptions. So get your ass to park on time.

All non-performance entries, please try to bring a tag, label, or some other something that you are comfortable being attached to your entry for it to be numbered. There will be stickers, but stickers can leave residue, tear, lift paint, etc. Please bear this in mind if you choose to not include something for the person/people taking entries to mark.

Please remember that if you are entering in the written category you need to bring at least 5 copies of the entry, this is aside from any "presentation quality" version you may decide to create.

Food/drink entries, you must provide everything needed for these. If your entry needs plates, bowls, cups, glasses, utensils, whatever, it is your responsibility to bring these. Presentation is part of scoring. It is also your responsibility to provide anything needed to maintain correct/safe temperatures.

If there is anything needed to display or protect your entry, this is your responsibility. If you must keep your item off the ground in the event of not enough tables, bring a table or cloth/tarp for the ground.

If you are entering in the Rose category, please be prepared to send the donated item (or a copy of it, in the case of digital media, written, et cetera) with the crown/officers, otherwise the entry will be registered and judged in the non-rose category that it would fall under.

Do not annoy the judges.

Scoring
Scoring will be based on the "Better than average" method.
An item must score better than 3.5 (averaged between all judges) to count towards the DragonMaster scores.
Only the top 3 entries in one category/event by an individual will potentially count toward that individual's score in that category/event.

Also, please note that in the event of a high number of, especially the longer, written entries that posting of final scores may be delayed to allow for adequate time for the judges to actually read and evaluate each one. With this in mind please try to limit these to a 5 page maximum.

Don't forget to write up your items. Here is where you can let judges know how long you worked, what materials you used, what your influences were, or if this is you first try at, for instance, leather tooling. In other words, this is where you tell us what you would if you were standing next to your item. The intent is for the judges to not be able to put a name/face to an entry, so you will not be able to tell them these things.
Without a write-up judges are left to guess everything.

You have more than a month, now go make stuff, and make me proud.

Post subject: Re: DragonMaster
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:59 am 

*update*

For acts that violate certain silly city ordinances, you may still submit your performance if you record a video of it. Uploading a video to YouTube for advance viewing is a good idea, as it will cut down on the time we have to spend judging under the glare of the evil orb. On the day(s) of Dragon Master, a laptop or other video player to view your recorded performance is a must. Cell phones would work in a pinch but will likely result in a reduced score due to the tiny screen.

Written entries can also be submitted in advance. Send to regent@amtgard-eh.com.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:24 pm 

Writing: What's the difference between factual and informational? I have an article that is both.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:31 pm 

"acts that violate certain silly city ordinances"???

WTF kind of acts are those, and where can I join up? Anything in that category sounds FUN!

Mage-at-Arms to Sir Alby Kzan
Brewer of Laughing Fox

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:14 am 

I'm going to guess he means entries in the vintage/brewing category, or performances that involve fire or exotic animals.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:25 am 

Aylin_Karyn wrote:
Writing: What's the difference between factual and informational? I have an article that is both.

I would define it as an informational article describes a material subject or crafting process, whereas a factual article describes an event.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:53 pm 

Previous cultural events have requested that write-ups include a list of the number of the player's previous awards such as dragons, owls, roses, etc.

Ex. "Dragons: 4, Owls: 3, Garbers: 1"

Will this be required or requested? And if so, which awards should be listed?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:54 pm 

performances that involve fire... does that include small bursts that almost instantly dissipate?

Brewer of Laughing Fox

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:55 pm 

also... dare I ask... have northern judge slots been filled yet?

Brewer of Laughing Fox

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:40 am 

What about Weaponmaster? Is there any info available for it yet?

I swear, Delphos and Brennon really just remind me of a couple of bad Spock and Bones impersonators.

"Nevron disagrees with and dislikes me. He is, however, rational".- Brennon

"I'll admit, I trolled the smack forum." - Shady Troll

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:29 am 

No judge slots have been filled yet. Fill 'em!

Also, stating the number of previously won awards would be nice, and therefore is requested.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:27 am 

Midnight Rain will be having a hot dog, chili dog cookout. We will have plenty of water and coolers for anyone who wants to bring additional drinks and snacks. We look foreward to seeing a good turnout this weekend.

Thanks,
Master Xenhei of Midnight Rain

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard