Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing

Post subject: Seventh Hour
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:03 am 

Trembling fingers reached out and scratched the dirty face. Rough stubble gave
way to ink stained fingernails. A scab broke open, blood dripping on the parchment laying just under his chin.

The shade froze as he held his breath.

'Not right...no...no...this is all wrong." Sutra muttered to himself. He had lost track of time. Was it hours, days, or even weeks since he had seen the sun. No matter, no time to waste.

The sin stood up and scanned the floor around him. Laid out in a very specific configuration, torn parchment stared blankly at him. Frenzied scribbles and delirious sketches spoke whispered every answer he needed, yet he had become deaf.

Deaf and oblivious to the obvious. The answer was right here. Nothing. Sutra knew nor felt nothing. For the first time in seasons, Sutra didn't have an answer. No witty retort or arrogant hike of the brow. He was at a loss for words. A rarity indeed.

Sutra knelt again and studied the crumpled fragment of paper, glistening with a few drops of blood. Dipping his dull quill tip into the fresh batch of sanguine ink, he retraced his hand written thoughts.

The verses were etched in his memory. He was there when the sole voice rang out in the forest. The anxious inflection in his voice as he uttered the words Sutra has translated for the brave questors.

He remembered how the earth trembled, birthing the grotesque stone structure. The unearthly portal itself was a violation of all things natural. It was indeed the work of a diabolical fiend. And now it had trespassed into their realm of existence.

"...its origin birthed from the depths of void..." Sutra mumbled. He quickly scribbled the word Tezcatlipoca next to it.

"...the spark of contagion darkest genesis wrought..." Were-creatures.

"...Before the awakening of mortal man and beast...the thirst keenly refined when eons chime..." Dragons and Vampires...

"...hearts of men seeded deep with dominions lust..." Sutra drew a painful blank as he recited the verse three times.

"...blinded by ancient deceit spawned in wrath..." the shade hurriedly jotted the word Frost Giants.

"...flesh and spirit rendered broken by binding yoke..."

The words and verses had revealed much, but only after they became truth in the form of fluttering wings or gnashing teeth of enemies they had not expected.

"Lust..." spoke the fatigued archivist. "An unrestrained craving of the eros...what mythical creature can evoke such a base instinct? Siren? No, her goal is to lure one to death...it's something that feeds on erotic energies..."

"BY REYNA'S BEARD!!!" howled the enlightened scholar.

"...hearts of men seeded deep with dominions lust..." Sutra eagerly etched the word Succubi next to the verse.

"That's it!" And their master collects at the seventh hour! YES!"

The shade frantically stood up and began to collect his scattered notes. The first couple water drops spattered across his scalp unnoticed.

The thunderous crescendo of lightning caught his attention. Instantly, a torrential downpour broke lose above his head.

Sutra quickly glanced at his surroundings and confirmed he was still in the walled confines of the Emerald Library. Looking up, he quizzically studied the rain before howling madly.

The sound of sloshing footsteps echoed through the halls as the sheriff made his way back towards the great library doors.

He was one step closer to a revelation. The question remained. Who would he share his findings with.

Slamming into the doors, Sutra rushed into the cool night air.

S
[con't]

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post subject: Re: Seventh Hour
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:13 pm 

Fionnigan Hellblazer removed his gnome-work glasses, and rubbed his eyes. He was beginning to grow weary, and staring at countless scrolls, tomes, and tablets had not helped in that regard. He leaned back in his high back chair and stretched to try and breath some life back into his tired body.

“My love you should come back to bed.” said Vasallessa in her thick gypsy accent. “You are, as your people would say, lighting the torch at two ends.”

“The expression, sweets, is burning the candle at both ends, and yes I have been doing that lately. I am too far though in my research to waste time with sleep.” replied Fionnigan with slight edge to his words.

“I am sorry, love, I didn't mean to offend...” Vasallessa meakly replied.

“No, my love, I'm sorry. I have been so caught up in all of this research that I have not slept well in days, perhaps weeks. The lack of sleep is affecting my temperment, and that is why I was short with you just now. I am truly sorry, my love. You are right I should retire for the evening, and leave these ponderings to the morning.” replied Fionnigan.

“What are you doing my love?” asked Vasallessa.

“I am researching the royal houses of the fourteen kingdoms. I am trying to confirm an old maid's tale I have heard for many years.” replied Fionnigan.

“Well that can wait for the morn, my love. Come back to bed, and let me take your mind away from these concerns.”

With those final words Vasallessa led Fionnigan away from his desk, and up the stairs of his country manor to the master bedroom.

I do not suffer fools gladly, and fools with white belts never.

Mortem proditoribus.

Post subject: Re: Seventh Hour
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:09 pm 

The Jade Forum was extremely busy as Fionnigan made his way through on this hot summer afternoon. He walked with the pace of a man late for his own execution. A young boy, no older than ten, bumped into him.

“Excuse me m'lord.” said the boy with a voice like the chirp of a mockingbird.

Fionnigan grabbed the boy by the arm as he drew away from him smiling the whole time. “I am not a lord, though I thank you for the compliment. Now have a care, and listen to me, little wing, if you're going to make your way in this world with thievery you're going to need more graceful hands. Now off with you, before I call the guard of the watch on you.”

Fionnigan put the hand he wasn't holding onto the boy with out, and stared at the boy from within his robe's hood. The boy returned the pilfered pouch, and Fionnigan released his grip. The boy stared into Fionnigan's eyes for a moment after he was let go, his bright blue eyes still shining from deep within sunken sockets. The boy broke his look and ran.

“The streets are getting rougher it would seem.” Fionnigan thought to himself as he replaced the pouch to it's rightful spot on his belt.

Truth be told the streets of the Emerald City always got rough when the days got warmer. As the great city thawed through spring, travelers would begin to trickle in from all over the realm, and by summer's start there would be a veritable ocean moving in and out of the great city. Yet these last few seasons turns it had been different. The travelers that had come and gone had been from more far flung parts of the Hills, and some from even further. With so many different people from so many different realms coming into contact with each other, conflict was bound to happen. It seemed that in just about every part of the city feuds and little wars were taking place everyday. And this year was putting them all to shame. This year there was a transdemensional portal to the void open in another part of the realm, and it's evil was spreading throughout everything in the realm. He was lucky all the boy did was try to pick his belt, and not kidney stab him and take what he wanted.

There had been dark things festering and growing in his beloved realm, and Fionnigan had been part of the vanguard in the fight against this growing darkness. He had a revelation sometime in the night, and now was on his way to the tower library to answer a question growing in his head, “what do these creatures have in common and who is behind this?”

As he pondered this question in his head Fionnigan began again to stride quickly across the forum toward the tower of high sorcery, and to the library where he might find the answer.

I do not suffer fools gladly, and fools with white belts never.

Mortem proditoribus.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing