Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing

Post subject: Threw on through
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:13 pm 

The horde worked itself into a frenzy once again. The Dragons had flown out and scattered many of the creatures, their beating wings flinging up debris, obscuring those beneath their splendor. Those who came next were much less visible, but no less terrifying. The cat people with the odd name walked among the horde, their eyes piercing the very souls of those around them. More than one "unworthy" among those who had drawn the ire of the cats had ended their existences staring into those eyes.

So far, we had evaded those terrifying beings, though there had been some close calls. Kaiden found them fascinating and was almost drawn into their aura before being brought back to himself by Karasu. I was too occupied by the closeness of the portals these days. In the first days of the invasion, the portals had opened only rarely. Once a month or so. recently, those who called the portals were doing so more often and the portals were remaining open longer each time. In fact, some few of the horde had ventured back through the portals, to be replaced by others from the other side.

Some of the banners that rose above the horde seemed oddly familiar. One, a scimitar crossing a raven's feather on a green field seemed to bother me. Others dotted the camps, from a bone white cross on a blood red field to a seeming black crescent shaped gash in a white banner. Those gathered below those banners were of all types of creatures but seemed to follow a few leaders and, in at least one case, a single, charismatic leader.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The nights had gotten almost intolerable since the arrival of the cats. It was like living under an inquisition always looking over your shoulder, waiting for you to make just one mistake. Many of those that we had relied on to feed us information and keep us hidden had been rooted out and executed. So far, we had not been discovered but the constant fear had begun to wear on every one of us. Recently, there were rumors of a new power that would come through the portal, heralding the great lord and general who had set all of this in motion.

I had set forth a plan when we arrived that the others had not agreed to. In fact, they had all but called the idea crazy. I was on a quest, though. A righteous quest to recover a lost comrade. I was certain that the goal of my quest lay beyond that portal.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I awoke from troubled dreams. Once again, I had heard the screams of dispair and the scrabbling, shuffling sound of undead, their claws grasping toward me out of the night.

"A new portal just opened." Said Kaiden from the darkness surrounding us. The little cave that we had carved out for ourselves overlooked the portal grounds that had become the center of the Horde's gathering place. It had the air of an open air cathedral at times and, at other times, a carnal house of slaughter and pain. As we looked out over the grounds this time, it was a bit of bother. The now familiar group of four creatures surrounded the portal spot, where the air had already begun to ripple, like heat rising from the ground on a severely hot day. As the chant wound down, the waving distortions vibrated more rapidly until a shining "opening" formed . Mists pooled at the base of the portal through which one of the most beautiful and delicate women that we had ever seen stepped. She had cascading auburn hair, eyes that almost glowed and skin that resembled cold milk. Behind her stepped other stunning, statuesque beauties.

Our first reaction was the believe that these women were a sacrifice of some sort. This was shattered very quickly when one off the cats stepped forward and tried to cow these women. They stood as one and forced the cat back. No other creatures chose to challenge these women, not even the few dragons who had deigned to lower themselves to the level of the common hoardling this evening dared challenge these women. This did not keep them from staring in fascination, though. This might be my chance.

Before the others could stop me and while their attention was taken by the women, I made my move. I heading down into the horde, making my way among the creatures. I had become adept at keeping my head down over the past months and even though they knew where I must be going, the others could not call out to me or follow me. Before They could catch up to me, I was at the portal and through it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lettusio-Rex, Dreadmoor Fey Jackalope
Member of the House of H.O.P.S.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing