Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard

Post subject: Warrior's guild
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:55 am 

now that i have a bit more time on my hands, i'd like to get a bit more organization to the warrior's guild going on. some have told me "good luck" and whatnot because most might view the warrior class as default and for noobs. but i personaly believe there should be a revrence for tanks, those who would guard the mages. so in accordance to my newfound position i'd like to get together what i can of the die-hard warriors and get some ideas going on how we can get the ball rolling. i wanna see the warrior's guild get known much like that of the assassin's guild. i mean you hear the words "the guild" and automaticly think" oh! the assassins!" i like to provide options. but yeah. this si what i'm going for. tomorrow in FK (my home park) i'll be getting some of the warriors there together to brainstorm and whatnot. and will be attempting to get a meeting together for Midreign. thanx. message me or reply here with any ideas and the invariable discouragement ^_^

Post subject: Re: Warrior's guild
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:19 am 

head's up- i sorely need to test. dunno when i'll be able to make it to FK, maybe dragonmaster.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:16 pm 

Aylin,

Thought we'd get to see ya this 11th!

Changed the whole banquet to the 11th, just for you!

Okay, maybe not totally all true.
S

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:55 pm 

Tobias,

Good luck!

I don't see the Warrior class as default or noob primer. I thought that's what the Assassin class was for. Sure, sword and board/Florentine makes it 'easier' to fit the bill and play the class, but the class has it's own distinctive flair.

Warriors should definitely be respected, but so is a great speed casting magic user, or a super ninja sin, or a pesky 'can't touch me' monk, a quick on their feet berserking barbar; the list goes on.

What we need is a sense of pride in the class one plays. Not a desire to feel that everything or anything is deserving of a relic or masterhood. So a tanked out warrior blocks arrows or makes a saving martyr of a dive to save that team mate/npc that needs rescuing. So a tanked out warrior helps take down a dragon.

All these feats don't guarantee a shield of reflection or some gauntlets of some such power, but having a positive attitude whether your team wins or loses does help get your name out there.

Makes people want to say, 'Hey! That Bladebringer of McRighteousness is a swell guy/gal, he/she's a blast to group with, and has a great time portraying their class! I want to be on his/her team!'

Example:
Endreign/Coronation quest. I played archer and took out the hill giant hording some relic (never found out what it was). As I approached the defeated monster, I was hacked by stone trolls. I watched in amusement when an assassin from an 'opposing' team, lifted the relic off the giant's body.

Conclusion:
Yeah, it'd be cool to have gotten the relic, was the game gonna suck for the remainder of the event cause someone else took the loot from my well place shoot? Absolutely not! It was a team effort, the monsters got a run for their money, and our people got the relics. The majority of us had fun and had a pretty good time. Mission accomplished.

So, best wishes Warrior Tobias. May your quest to make the Warrior's Guild a more visible and tangible structure be a fruitful one.

Remind the hacking and crusading tanks to want to play the class to the T. It'll add to the amusement and scenery. Will make mundanes watch in amused bewilderment as well garbed and enthusiastic personas rush back and forth on the field of imaginary battle.

Regards,
Sutra

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:21 pm 

i got stuck working this whole weekend because i asked off for next weekend. sorry. :( i do wish i could go, but i need the hours at work.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:01 am 

it wasnt the fact i didnt get the relic i was after, it was that while you and my brother were dead and counting my team friggin ran away.... and one of'em was just handed what i was after, but oh well, i can still school'em without a relic.

yeah... so i'm recruiting, gotta think fo belt favors..... prolly jsut soemthing purple with a shield emblem i got in my head. and aylin u can test at dragonmaster if you can make it, otherwise it's midreign.

nut anyways my main platform is to take all these warriors who jsut rush in and tank to play 3 main roles. Tank, Guardian, and Support

Tank = sword and board, dual wield, armored, militant, collected, calcualting, still working in unison

Guardian = flail and board, armored, sticks with mages and healers, keeps them from dying at all cost

Support = second tank, polearm, flail and board, "cheap" shots, just about anything. backs up the main tank, never leaves his side unless he's dead

the big drawback is that almost everyone wants to play warrior as main tank, they usualy think that's what a warrior is, noone wants to sit and guard the mages, and for suport alot tent to run off when they think the situation is handled and they dont communicate with the main tank. but midreign should proove a bit handy in teaching some of the newer warriors these aspects and reinforcing them in others.

iunno, i'll see how it goes

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:47 pm 

Openly encouraging the use of flails? Not sure that will win many people over.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:28 pm 

look, people can bitch all day 'oh a flail is a cheap weapon" blah blah blah, but if it wasnt valid then it wouldt be allowed by the rulebook. i personaly dont use'em, because i get mebe one shot off and then die. i mean wtf is the big deal with people not liking flails?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:22 pm 

When I think of using a flail I am reminded that it's on par with using a helicopter to shank someone.

"Béni soit l'Éternel, mon rocher, Qui exerce mes mains au combat, Mes doigts à la bataille"[/align]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:14 am 

agreed. but it works. as far as combat goes we have to have period armor, period clothing, etcetera so forth and so on. then why discourage period survival techniques? you cant just down a weapon for the sole fact it's relatively easy to kill with. how about adapting and developing flail-nullifying techniques. i mean that's what pole and greatsword fighters had to do about shieldmen.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:53 pm 

What exactly does the term, "period survival technique" mean?

"Béni soit l'Éternel, mon rocher, Qui exerce mes mains au combat, Mes doigts à la bataille"[/align]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:07 pm 

it means what works. it means doing what one must do (within rules and reason) to not die on the field.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:18 am 

Actually people dislike flails because they are a low skill weapon. Only at a low skill level is it an advantage. At the higher end, the good fighters can do more with a sword than a flail. Thus the flail has been relegated to the "newbie" weapon, or a weapon for those who aren't good enough to get in more kills with a sword.

Now this doesn't mean that a top end fighter can't be great with a flail, but the flail is inferior to the sword in that it can not block/parry as easily, it cannot recoil and/or throw combos as fast, and has a more limited # of viable shots compared to a sword.

The only reason I poked fun was because 2 of your 3 categories included Flail and Board, but not sword and board. Which is odd since you even said that you normally only get off 1 shot then die when using one.

Anmyway, didn't mean to say it was not a legal weapon or to get you upset, was just poking fun because I have heard the mindset on flails for years.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:45 am 

Flails are horribly effective in line fighting.

Flails are disliked because even nublets can kill effectively with them.

In my eyes, for a GMW to encourage the use of flails means that he is specifically targetting the lower tiers of his guild for this initiative, with a goal to make them more effective, be it in a group on as individuals.

Outside that, all you're doing is hoping to god he doesnt start showing up at parks with thirty armored flail-wielding soldiers looking for a scrap.

Me?

I think it would be kinda cool. Almost as fun as finding out that of the 80 people signing in on a saturday, 38 of them we planning on playing assassin.

Lemme know how it works out my friend.

:)

[/align]

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:39 pm 

Sins: The other other noob class.

Cause I can,
S

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard